An accurate grind is an important factor in achieving your delicious cup of Joe and the Oxo Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder will give that to you and more. From fine to coarse, name it, you will have it!
With this, you are sure to have a uniform grind because of the stainless-steel conical burrs. The DC motor, on the other hand, prevents overheating. Another great thing? One-time grinding is enough for up to 12 cups!
- OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder's built-in scale measures grounds by weight instead of time, eliminating the need for a separate scale; automatic shutoff ensures a precise amount of ground coffee every time
- Durable, 40 mm stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for up to 38 settings -- from fine for espresso to coarse for French press or cold brew
- High torque/low speed motor won’t overheat beans, preserving flavor and generating minimal static for less mess. Built-in overheating detection protects motor for long life
- Use the single dial to switch between Cups Mode, Grams Mode or Manual Mode. In Cups mode, you grind based on the number of cups of coffee you would like to brew.
- No-bean detector won't let you grind if the hopper is empty
- Hopper holds 16 oz of coffee beans and features a "trap door" to hold beans in when hopper is removed. Grounds keeper holds up to 125 grams -- enough ground coffee to brew 12 cups
- This device focuses on grinding your beans to perfection so your coffee will not be any less than delicious. You just have to simply input the amount in grams and the integrated scale gives you the accurate dosage to produce the ideal strength.
- Single dial to choose between Cups Mode, Manual Mode, or Grams Mode
- Cups mode grind based on the number of coffee cups
- No-bean detector doesn’t allow grinding if the hopper is empty
- Customizable grind volume and coarseness
- Integrated digital scale grinds the precise amount of ground beans
- Stainless steel conical burrs to protect the essential oils for better flavor
- Trap door mechanism so beans won’t fall out upon removal of hopper
- Fitted chute and ground container to reduce accumulation of dust
- Hopper capacity: 16 ounces
- Dimensions: H 16.4” x D 11.1” x W 7.3”
- Burrs: 40mm stainless steel conical
- Burr speed: 400 RPM
- Grind settings: 45
- MSRP: $224.99
- Coarse to extra fine grinding
- Auto shut off
- LED lit controls
- Secure locking of the bean hopper
- Integrated weighing scale
- Various grinding
- Premium design
This compact device will surely sit beautifully on your kitchen countertop without taking up so much space. The great thing about it is its consistent performance!
Who does not want a beautiful addition to your kitchen? With its stylish design, this device doesn’t only provide you a perfect cup, but a perfect kitchen aesthetic as well.
Strong bean chopper
This grinder houses a strong bean chopper that will give you a consistent grind every time. From the finest to the coarsest option, you can rely on this to the job exquisitely well.
Accurate weighing scale
The integrated weighing scale is truly a gem because we rarely find it in coffee grinders or machines, especially at this price point. This prevents you from brewing more than what’s enough!
Empty bean hopper sensor
For safety, the sensor does not allow grinding to start if the hopper does not have any beans. The grinder lets you know when the hopper is empty, and the scale actually remembers how much more you need after adding the coffee beans.
Easy to navigate
The unit houses a large dial for adjustment of grind size and another small one for selecting the grind amount you prefer. You can also select your desired dose by cups through the built-in weighing scale.
- Chunky coarse grind
- Pricier end
The main complaint of users is that the unit has a tendency to have coffee grinds flying out of the machine during the grinding process. This, of course, can be tedious. This problem is even worse when grinding coarser sizes, like that of the French Press. When it’s time to pour the grinds from the grind cup into the brewer, a lot of the grinds cling to the cup making it difficult. Spilling is inevitable with this device, unfortunately.
Also, this is quite noisy during the grinding process. It registered a little below the average 88 decibels when we tested it. Although others are noisier, keep in mind that this one is not the quietest neither
How to use the Oxo Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
- Remove the lid and fill with whole roasted beans.
- Replace the lid.
- Slowly rotate the hopper until the desired grind size setting.
- 1-5 = fine (espresso)
- 6-10 = medium (pour over/drip coffee)
- 11-15 = coarse (French press/cold brew)
- Zero the scale to ensure accurate calibration.
- Plug into the power source.
- Slide the ground container onto the base. You’ll hear a click once it’s in place.
- Turn the dial to set the timer from 0-30 seconds. If you’re a beginner, start with 10 seconds then weight the amount of grounds.
- Press the OXO button for the grinding to start.
We attest that the Oxo scale is actually perfectly accurate. The precision of the grinder still awes me to this day. The problem that I see though is that that immediately after the power is off, the burrs stay in motion because of the momentum resulting in extra bits of ground coffee than needed. This may not be a lot, but it still decreases the accuracy of the amount of grounds produced. Plus, the Oxo brew’s screen does not reflect this as it stops once the target amount has been reached.
Despite the extra grounds, take note that we are only talking about +/-1 g here, thus, it may not be that huge of a problem.
Noise, build, and static
Oxo’s relatively thin exterior, loud and high-pitched sound, and static-prone roasts are some of the problems we’ve encountered. However, in my own honest opinion, I can easily let those slide.
One dial for all
The grinder houses just a single dial that is used to control almost all the features. Keep in mind though to read the user manual to maximize the use of your beloved grinder.
May not grind fine enough
We found that while this grinder works perfectly for brewed coffee such as a French press, the same is not true with espressos. We believe that it does not grind fine enough to brew a perfect espresso.
Taking care of the grinder
- Allow the grinder to cool for a couple of minutes at the very least after every use.
- Do not operate the device longer than 4 minutes to avoid overheating.
- Once the motor overheats, it will show a 30-minute countdown. Do not use until the countdown finishes.
- Clear the chute in between use.
- Utilize fresh beans.
Cleaning the grinder
- Unplug the grinder.
- Press down on the hopper and twist counterclockwise. Lift it to remove.
- Twist the upper burr lift counterclockwise and pull up to remove.
- Clean the burrs and chute using a small bristle brush. Do not use water or other liquid to clean the grinder and burrs inside. Stay away from abrasive cleaners and harsh chemicals too. Do not use a dishwasher.
- Align indents in burr with tabs inside the lower burr.
- Push the upper burr unto the grinder and turn clockwise until it gives off a click.
- Pull the handle straight up to check if the burr is in place. If yes, it will not move.
- Using a soft and damp cloth, wipe the base and the body.
- Twist the hopper clockwise into the grinder until the line above the lever is in line with the icon and until a click is heard.
Oxo Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder vs. Breville Smart Grinder Pro
The Breville Smart Grinder Pro is another top rated coffee grinder and it’s within the similar price point with Oxo Brew. The Breville has a digital interface and is more detailed. But, it measures using the grinding time rather than the weight of the ground coffee. Breville also grinds smaller and finer than Oxo. Depending on your preferences, one of these two should work pretty well for you.
- Stainless steel conical burrs designed to minimize grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean
- 60 precise grind settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Voltage: 110 120 Volts. Power: 165 Watts
- Precision Electronic Timer allows users to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increments and consistent dose every time
- 18 ounce coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer of the bean hopper
- Grind directly into portafilter, grinds container, gold tone filter basket or paper filter
- Portafilter cradle small 50 54 millimeter; Portafilter cradle large 58 millimeter
To be honest, the Oxo Brew Conical Burr Grinder is a pretty great device to use if you love your coffee as fresh as possible. While there are some hiccups, we find them easy to slide!
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-10-15