Are you considering purchasing the Nespresso Essenza Mini coffee machine but feeling uncertain? Don’t worry! In this comprehensive review, we’ll delve into the details of this compact espresso machine to help you determine if it’s the right choice for you.
Table Of Contents−
- Key Features of the Nespresso Essenza Mini
- Pros and Cons of the Nespresso Essenza Mini
- Coffee Quality: Truly Delicious and Authentic
- Design: Compact and Ideal for Small Spaces
- Nespresso Essenza Mini: Breville vs. DeLonghi
- Programmability: Effortless and Easy to Use
- Water Reservoir: Requires Frequent Refills
We’ll explore its key features, discuss its pros and cons, and provide valuable insights into its coffee quality, design, ease of use, and more. By the end of this article, you’ll have a clear understanding of whether the Nespresso Essenza Mini is the perfect addition to your morning routine.
This was tested at a hotel, where spaces are limited and the only place to put this coffee maker was next to the bed. Fortunately, I love a good coffee in the morning. Having this right next to me, made a lot of sense. However, I had to put my glasses, my phone, the lamp somewhere else. But it just shows how compact it is, even if you don’t want to get out of bed for your coffee!
Key Features of the Nespresso Essenza Mini
To begin our review, let’s take a closer look at the key features of the Nespresso Essenza Mini. Understanding these details will provide a solid foundation for evaluating the machine’s overall performance:
- Machine weight: The Nespresso Essenza Mini weighs 5.1 pounds, making it lightweight and easily portable.
- Dimensions: With a compact size of 3.2”W x 12.8”D x 8.1”H, this machine is designed to fit perfectly even in small spaces.
- Machine material: The exterior body of the Essenza Mini is made of ABS plastic, which contributes to its lightweight construction.
- Manufacturing partners: The machine is manufactured by Breville and DeLonghi, two reputable brands in the coffee industry.
- Watts: The Nespresso Essenza Mini operates at 1310W, providing sufficient power for efficient coffee extraction.
- Pressure: It utilizes a 19-bar high-pressure pump, ensuring the extraction of rich and flavorful espresso shots.
- Brew Sizes: The Essenza Mini offers two brew sizes: Espresso (1.35 oz) and Lungo (3.70 oz), providing versatility in serving different coffee preferences.
- Water Tank Capacity: The machine features a water tank with a capacity of 20.3 oz, sufficient for single servings.
- Milk Container: The Nespresso Essenza Mini does not include a milk container, but a separate Aeroccino milk frother can be purchased for creating lattes and cappuccinos.
- Wireless Connectivity: This machine does not have wireless connectivity capabilities.
- Spent Capsules: It can hold up to 6 spent capsules before requiring disposal.
- Auto Features: The Essenza Mini has an auto shut-off function that activates after 9 minutes of inactivity.
- System Heat Up Time: The machine heats up in just 25 seconds, allowing for quick and convenient brewing.
The Nespresso Essenza Mini belongs to the Original Line of Nespresso machines, which utilize a 19-bar high-pressure pump to extract espresso shots from capsules. Unlike the VertuoLine, which employs rapid capsule spinning, the Original Line ensures a more luxurious and hotter cup of espresso with a foamy crema.
- Basic features: The Essenza Mini lacks some of the advanced features found in higher-end Nespresso machines. If you’re looking for more customization options or additional functionalities, you may find the Essenza Mini to be limited in this aspect.
- Basic construction: The machine is primarily made of plastic, which may not provide the same level of durability as machines with more robust construction materials.
- Limited capsule capacity: The used capsule compartment of the Essenza Mini can hold only a small number of spent pods, which means you’ll need to empty it frequently.
Pros and Cons of the Nespresso Essenza Mini
Before making a purchasing decision, it’s essential to consider the pros and cons of the Nespresso Essenza Mini. This will help you determine if the machine aligns with your specific needs and preferences. Here are the key advantages and disadvantages to consider:
- Low cost and compact size: The Nespresso Essenza Mini is an affordable espresso machine that is ideal for individuals who love espresso but have limited counter space.
- Two cup size options: The machine offers two cup sizes: 1.35 oz for espresso and 3.70 oz for lungo. This provides versatility in serving different coffee preferences.
- 19-bar pressure: With a powerful 19-bar high-pressure pump, the Essenza Mini effectively extracts the full aroma and flavor from the coffee capsules, ensuring a rich and satisfying espresso experience.
- Compact and easy to use: The Essenza Mini is one of the more compact Nespresso models, making it easy to transport and set up. It is also straightforward to operate, making it an excellent choice for those new to Nespresso machines.
- Efficient brewing: The machine prepares espresso and lungos quickly, allowing you to enjoy your coffee without unnecessary waiting time.
- Basic plastic construction: The Essenza Mini features a basic plastic construction, which may not be as visually appealing as machines with more premium materials. However, this trade-off is reflected in its affordable price.
- Durability concerns: Some users have reported durability issues with the Essenza Mini, suggesting that it may not be as long-lasting as other Nespresso models.
- Limited settings: The machine offers few customization options and settings, which may be a drawback for those who prefer more control over their coffee brewing process.
- Small used capsule compartment: The Essenza Mini’s capsule container can only hold up to 6 spent capsules, requiring more frequent emptying and disposal.
- Small water reservoir: The machine has a 20.3 oz water reservoir, which is relatively small compared to other models. This means you may need to refill the tank more frequently, particularly if you consume a lot of coffee or have multiple users.
It’s important to weigh these pros and cons against your specific needs and preferences to determine if the Nespresso Essenza Mini is the right fit for you. While it offers affordability, compactness, and ease of use, it does come with some limitations in terms of customization and durability. Consider these factors alongside your coffee consumption habits and space constraints to make an informed decision.
Coffee Quality: Truly Delicious and Authentic
When it comes to coffee quality, the Nespresso Essenza Mini delivers a truly delicious and authentic espresso experience. Despite its compact size, this machine produces rich and flavorful espresso shots with the signature Nespresso cream. The credit goes to the OriginalLine mechanism and the 19-bar pump, which expertly crushes the coffee capsules to extract the best possible flavors.
During testing, I discovered that the Essenza Mini is also compatible with the original Nespresso coffee capsules, allowing you to explore a wide range of coffee flavors according to your preferences. No matter which flavor you choose, you can expect a creamy and satisfying espresso every time.
Design: Compact and Ideal for Small Spaces
The Nespresso Essenza Mini features a minimalist and simple design, perfectly suited for its compact size and affordable price. Weighing just 5.1 pounds, it is lightweight and easy to move around. The machine’s basic plastic exterior may not be as visually appealing as higher-end models, but it is a reasonable compromise considering its affordability.
At the top of the machine, you’ll find a small lever for inserting Nespresso capsules. The capsule container is easy to open and close without any hassle. Behind the container, two programming buttons allow you to switch the machine on/off and select your desired cup size.
The removable water tank is located at the back of the machine, while the front houses a drip tray. Although these design elements are basic, they serve their purpose effectively. The simplicity of the design contributes to the ease of use and maintenance of the Essenza Mini.
Nespresso Essenza Mini: Breville vs. DeLonghi
The Nespresso Essenza Mini is available in two versatile designs: one by Breville and the other by DeLonghi. The Breville design features a rectangular shape with subtle color tones of black, gray, and white. On the other hand, the DeLonghi design has a rounded shape with vibrant color options such as black, green, and cherry red.
Both designs share similar features, including a 20.3 oz water tank, which, although relatively small, is sufficient for individual use. The main difference lies in the aesthetic variation, allowing customers to choose a design that suits their artistic preferences. Regardless of the design, the functionality and performance of the Essenza Mini remain the same.
Programmability: Effortless and Easy to Use
The Nespresso Essenza Mini is designed with simplicity and user-friendliness in mind. With only two programming buttons, the machine is incredibly easy to operate. It heats up quickly in under 30 seconds, and once heated, you can simply insert a coffee Nespresso capsule, close the container, and choose your desired cup size (1.35 oz or 3.70 oz). The pre-programmed recipes ensure that your coffee starts brewing immediately, providing a seamless and convenient experience.
One standout feature of the Essenza Mini is its programmable energy-saving mode. After nine minutes of inactivity, the machine automatically shuts off to conserve energy. Additionally, you have the option to extend the auto shut-off time to 30 minutes if needed. This feature not only saves energy but also gives you peace of mind in case you forget to turn off the machine. However, it’s worth noting that some users have reported the brewing sound to be relatively loud, which may be a minor inconvenience for some individuals.
Water Reservoir: Requires Frequent Refills
The Nespresso Essenza Mini comes with a 20.3 oz water reservoir, which is relatively small compared to other models. If you are a heavy coffee drinker or share the machine with multiple people, you may find yourself refilling the water tank more frequently. However, refilling the tank is a simple and accessible.
Cleaning the Nespresso Essenza Mini is a straightforward process. Here are the instructions for cleaning, descaling, and emptying the system:
- Daily, empty the drip tray, drip base, and capsule container.
- Clean these parts with odorless detergent and rinse with warm/hot water.
- Dry them with a clean towel, cloth, or paper.
- Regularly clean the coffee outlet and inside the machine with a damp cloth.
- Visit the website nespresso for specific descaling instructions.
- Lift and close the lever to eject the capsule into the used capsule container.
- Empty the drip tray, drip base, and used capsule container.
- Pour one Nespresso descaling liquid sachet into the water tank and fill it up to the 0.6 L line with potable water.
- Place a container with a minimum volume of 1 L under the coffee outlet.
- To enter the descaling mode, press both the Espresso and Lungo buttons for 5 seconds.
- Both LEDs will blink, indicating the descaling mode.
- Press the Lungo button and wait until the water tank is empty.
- Refill the water tank with the used descaling solution collected in the container and repeat steps 5 and 8.
- Empty and rinse the water tank, then fill it with fresh potable water.
- Repeat steps 5 and 8 twice to rinse the machine.
- To exit the descaling mode, press both the Espresso and Lungo buttons for 5 seconds.
- Empty the drip base.
Emptying the System:
- To enter the emptying mode, press both the Espresso and Lungo buttons to turn off the machine.
- Remove the water tank and open the lever. Place a container under the coffee outlet.
- Press both the Espresso and Lungo buttons for 5 seconds. Both LEDs will blink alternatively.
- The emptying process will begin, and the machine will switch off automatically when the procedure is finished.
If you encounter any issues with the Nespresso Essenza Mini, it is recommended to check the mains, plug, voltage, and fuse. For further assistance, you can contact the Nespresso Club or your Nespresso authorized representative. The machine comes with a limited guarantee of two years for domestic use (or three months for commercial use) from the date of purchase.
The guarantee covers defects in materials and workmanship and includes repair or replacement of defective products within the specified period. However, it excludes liability for consequential loss or damage caused by improper use or maintenance.
In summary, the Nespresso Essenza Mini is an affordable and compact espresso machine that offers convenience and efficiency. It’s an excellent choice for those who love espresso but have limited counter space or are looking for a simple and entry-level Nespresso machine.
With its easy operation and fast preparation, you can enjoy a delicious cup of espresso or lungo without the need for extensive barista skills. However, it’s important to note its basic features, plastic construction, and limited capsule capacity. If you’re seeking more advanced functionalities or higher durability, you may want to explore other Nespresso models. Overall, the Essenza Mini is a reliable and cost-effective option for espresso enthusiasts.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Remember to support us by purchasing through the Amazon/Walmart/Impact Radius links provided. Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Disclosure: No compensation or free products were received in exchange for writing this review.
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.