Table of Contents
Recently you may have noticed the trend about bulletproof coffee. So, what is this all about bulletproof coffee? First, it is a coffee that improves mental clarity, helps in weight loss while at the same time, boosting your energy levels. It is blended with the grass-fed butter and MCT oil, and it is popular among those on the keto diet because of the healthy fats it contains. Read our article if you are confused as to what exactly is grass-fed coffee.
Adding butter to your coffee
There is much information out there about adding butter to your cup of coffee. Some of this information is confusing. You will find some posts recommending adding butter, others disapproving the use of butter and there those that shed no light. Now the big question is, is adding butter to your coffee healthy or another trend driven by false claims?
This post takes you through the benefits and risks of adding butter in your cup of coffee. So, keep reading to learn more. Ready to learn more? Let’s get started, shall we?
Butter coffee benefits
- Mental clarity
Butter coffee is said to boost mental clarity and improve cognitive function. If you are on keto, your livers convert MCTs into ketones which are a vital source of energy for brain cells eventually resulting in mental focus and alertness.
Butter has the potential to supply steady, long-lasting energy without a blood sugar crash. The fat in butter is what results to slow intake of caffeine; hence, you get long-lasting energy. It is good to note fat slows digestion, thus slowing the rate at which caffeine is absorbed.
- Loss of weight
The ability of butter to control appetite is what make it contribute to weight loss. So, if on a diet, you adding butter in your coffee will not disappoint.
- Improve skin tone and complexion
Continuous use of butter in coffee will improve your skin tone and appearance. This is because it contains fatty acids and vitamins A, which brings a natural glow on your face.
Butter coffee downsides
Though there are many notable benefits of taking butter coffee, there are also some downsides. Below are some of the reasons why you should avoid butter coffee.
- Miss other vital nutrients: Enjoying a cup of butter coffee supplies your body with a lot of calories. Getting a lot of calories from one source automatically results to you missing other healthy nutrients like vitamins, fiber, and minerals from other sources.
- Stomach discomfort: The high amount of fat in butter can lead to stomach discomfort such as bloating and diarrhea, mainly if not used to consuming high amounts of fats.
- Life threatening diseases: Consuming large amounts of saturated fat can raise the level of cholesterol in the blood. High cholesterol increases the risks of stroke and heart diseases.
- Displaces key nutrients: Butter coffee also displaces other essential nutrients like protein and vitamins when taken as an alternative breakfast. Remember your need all nutrients to live a healthy life.
Butter coffee recipe
There are many butter coffee recipes on the web you may want to consider. You can as well DIY your own recipe. Below is a simple DIY you can try at home.
Creamy Butter Coffee Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter organic and salted
- 1 cup filtered black coffee
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Brew some black filtered coffee. Avoid French Press coffee as you will get sediment
- Add coffee, butter and coconut oil to a blender
- Let the mix sit with the lid OFF for 2 mins to reduce heat
- Blend, pour, enjoy. Garnish with cinnamon if desired
Common mistakes to avoid when brewing coffee
- Shaking rather than blending
The right way of preparing butter coffee is blending for 30 seconds as this help emulsify the fats with the water-based coffee. If you shake instead of blending, be prepared to see fat separating at the top of your cup.
- Using Low-Quality Butter
This is straight forward. You don’t add low quality butter and expect great results, no. So make sure to buy quality butter.
- Adding Too Much Coconut Oil
We have already seen adding too much fat can result in stomach discomfort. The best approach is staring with a small amount and then adding as you get used butter in your cup of coffee.
Adding butter in your cup of coffee has many benefits. From boosting your energy to improving mental clarity, you can’t miss grabbing a cup of butter every morning. But also keep in mind excessive use of butter coffee can hurt your health.