If you are a college student or looking to buy one for your kid, one of the considerations you need to remember when buying a Keurig is choosing one that would not consume a lot of space in your dormitory.
To guide you in your purchasing decision, here are some characteristics and capabilities you should look for when looking to buy the best Keurig for dorm room.
Best Keurig for dorm room / College student
It is undeniable that Keurig is one of the leading companies in the coffee and beverage-making industry. Considering the features mentioned above, here are our top picks for the best Keurig coffee maker for college students.
Keurig K-Supreme Plus
- MULTISTREAM TECHNOLOGY: Extracts more flavor and aroma in every brew. vs. Keurig leading K-Classic brewer with The Original Donut Shop Coffee K-Cup Pod
- PROGRAMMABLE FAVORITES: Save individual brewing preferences for up to 3 users.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR CUP: Brew a stronger cup, or brew hot over ice for refreshing iced coffee. Choose from 3 strength and 3 temperature settings.
- MULTIPLE BREW SIZES: Brew a 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 oz. cup.
- 78 Oz. REMOVABLE RESERVOIR: Allows you to brew up to 9 cups before having to refill, saving you time.
The Keurig K-Supreme Plus is a more customized version of the K-Supreme that not only raises the bar for your coffee experience but also includes features like a digital display, temperature control, and preset option buttons. When you purchase either of the products, you will receive a water filter as well as a filter stand to hold it.
While both models are works of art in their own right, I found the second to be more comfortable, durable, and overall a better bet.
Continue reading my K-Supreme and K-Supreme Plus reviews to find out why these new offerings astounded me after owning over 15 K-Cup brewers.
- The ultimate in coffee extraction.
- Selector for strength levels.
- There are three temperature settings.
- Tank that can be repositioned.
- The design is slim and space-saving.
- Minimum amount of time spent waiting.
- The operation is quiet.
- Compatibility with K-Cups.
- Cup sizes are available in a variety of sizes.
- The Plus model does not have an adjustable tank.
- There is no difference in temperature between the second and third levels.
Keurig K250 single serve coffee maker
- What's in the box: 4 k cup pods, a water filter handle + 2 water filters, and a bottle of descaling solution to help extend the life of your brewer
- 40 ounce water reservoir: Allows you to brew 4+ cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine; The water reservoir is removable, making it easy to refill
- Multiple k cup pod brew sizes: (4, 6, 8, 10 ounce) and brews a carafe (22, 26, or 30 ounce) using k carafe pods to give you more coffee when you need it (carafe sold separately)
- Strength control: a strength control setting allows you to brew a bolder cup using any k cup pod brew size.
- Black & white touch screen: makes it easy to brew a fresh, great tasting cup in under a minute.
This coffee maker is the leading model in the industry because it has a wide array of cup sizes you can choose from; hence, it offers a lot of versatility. It can be used for single serving, and it can also brew enough for a crowd room for people because of its huge reservoir. In terms of convenience, it works well with every coffee pod.
- Quick to make coffee
- Compatible with many coffee pods
- Reservoir large enough to not constantly have to refill
- Can be pricey
Keurig K-classic coffee brewer
- Brews multiple k-cup pod sizes: (6, 8, 10 ounce) – the most popular k-cup pod brew sizes. Use the 6 ounce brew size to achieve the strongest brew.
- Large 48 ounce water reservoir: Allows you to brew 6 plus cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine. The water reservoir is removable, making it easy to refill whenever you need to.
- Descaling: An important part of cleaning your keurig brewer. This process helps to remove calcium deposits, or scale, that can build up inside a coffee maker over time.
- Auto-off: An auto-off feature is easily programmed to turn off your coffee maker after it has been idle for 2 hours, helping to save energy.
- Simple button controls: Just insert a pod, select your desired cup brew size, and brew a great-tasting cup in under a minute.
The K250 model is pricey that is why the K-classic coffee brewer is a more affordable alternative. This coffee maker offers value for your money. It has an old-school design and you can choose from among the three cup sizes for better brew control strength. It can hurriedly prepare your coffee with convenience, so if you are always on-the-go, this model is great for you.
- Not that expensive
- With enough reservoir of 48-ounce
- Results not consistent
- Not compatible with K-Carafe
- Brew strength can be difficult to control
Keurig K-Mini plus single serve coffee maker
- Included in the box: Keurig k-mini plus single serve coffee maker with pod storage unit that fits in your brewer and can hold upto 9 k-cup pods.
- Fast & fresh brewed: Coffee made in minutes
- Pod storage: Holds 9 k-cup pods and fits in your brewer for ultimate portability and saves counter space.
- Cord storage: For easy transport and tidy countertops.
- Travel mug friendly: Removable drip tray accommodates travel mugs upto 7.0” tall and holds a full accidental brew for easy cleanup.
If you are short on space and want to maximize the space available, this compact and versatile Keurig K-Mini plus single serve coffee maker is a great deal for you. Despite its small size, it has most of the features that its larger counterparts offer. However, its downside is that it is not that durable because just a tiny mishap can damage this coffee maker.
- Compact and good for space-saving
- Versatile in terms of pods and cup sizes
- Questionable durability
- Only has single-serving capacity
Keurig mini k15 coffee machine
- Compact: Small and personal; Great for small spaces and portable design goes anywhere; Cord storage feature helps with portability
- Brew sizes: Brews your perfect amount, any cup size between 6 10 ounce Use the 6 ounce Cup size for a bolder brew
- Water resevoir: Single cup water reservoir for ultimate portability just add fresh water for each brew
- Drip tray: Removable drip tray accommodates travel mugs up to 5.2” tall, and holds a full accidental brew for easy clean up
- Energy efficient: Automatic shut off turns the brewer off after each brew, helping to save energy; Note : Refer to the pdf attached below in technical specification for user manual
If you are looking for a very compact, small and affordable coffee maker for your dorm or hotel room, this is the best option for you. Due to its very affordable price, you can easily buy a new one to replace it if it is broken.
- Very affordable
- Small and compact, can fit anywhere
- Inconsistent results
- Only has single-serving reservoir
- Poor brewing quality, not enough heating coil space to reach desired temperature
- FITS ANYWHERE: Less than 5” wide, fits neatly on your countertop.
- MULTIPLE CUP WATER RESERVOIR: Removable 46 ounce reservoir lets you brew up to 4 cups before refilling. 8oz cup size
- 3 CUP SIZES: brew an 8, 10, or 12 ounce cup at the push of a button.
- FAST & FRESH BREWED: Delicious coffee made in minutes.
- TRAVEL MUG FRIENDLY: Removable drip tray accommodates travel mugs up to 7. 0” tall and holds a full accidental brew for easy cleanup.
Technically, Keurig also manufactures the 4.5 cup brewer “K-Suite Premium, but that’s a commercial brewer designed for hotel rooms and vacation rentals, not for use at home or in the office.
Unlike the K-Mini and K-Mini Plus, which brew all of the water you pour into the reservoir, the K-Slim has three preset brew sizes ranging from 8 to 12 oz and a relatively large 46 oz water reservoir.
While Keurig has released several models with significantly larger water tanks (75 oz on the Keurig K-Elite), 46 oz isn’t a bad size. That’s nearly the same as the 48 oz reservoir on the K-Classic, and the K-Classic is twice as wide at 9.8 inches “with a maximum brew size of 10 oz.
Despite packing a 46 oz reservoir into a sleek package, the brewer’s design prevents the water reservoir from being removed. To refill, you must pour water into the back-positioned tank, which can be difficult if you don’t have a lot of over-brewer clearance.
- Keurig’s upgraded system for richer coffee and quieter brewing is included.
- Because there is no pod-scanning technology, brews both licensed and unlicensed are available. Pods for K-Cups
- Slim design similar to the K-Minis, but with a larger 46 oz reservoir.
- There are only three preset brew sizes.
- There are no Brew Strengths or Temperature Control options.
- The water reservoir in the back is more difficult to access and refill.
- It does not include a water filter kit.
What to consider when buying a coffee maker if you’re a college student
You might be thinking that Keurig is an expensive investment. Yes, it is, but it is worth it in the long run. Investing in Keurig can save you a lot rather than buying from traditional drip coffee makers or coffee shops. That is why, as much as possible, do not settle with the cheapest option. Choose one with durability and enough features to justify your investment.
Investing in a coffee machine which can attain the right brewing temperature in a must. You can check if that model is right for you by looking at the product label; if it is not available, stay away from that product. The ideal brewing temperature is 196 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
Features and capabilities
There are several aspects to be considered aside from the coffee maker’s physical appearance, design, and color. Some would also like to choose the environmentally friendly once, or models appropriate with reusable pods. You might also be the kind of person who prioritizes convenience through timed brewing. Other considerations are capability of making different coffee types like espresso, and latte; and being able to produce great tasting coffee.
Ease-of-use, safety, and maintenance
Coffee machines that are not complicated and easy to use are a plus, especially for quick coffee needs in the morning. It would be great also if it has an “auto off” function for added safety, especially when accidentally left on. Last, having an easy to clean and maintain model is also worthy of consideration.
Water reservoir refers to how much water you can store for your coffee needs. To figure out what size for your water reservoir you need, compute how much coffee you consume every day and how often you drink daily. You may also consider how busy you are daily, and how often you are willing to refill it. This will depend on your schedule.
Experience with using coffee makers
If you have no experience in using coffee makers, it is best to look for user-friendly ones. You can find a lot of user-friendly models from Keurig, with button controls which are easy to figure out. Aside from that, you won’t have compatibility issues with K-cups, so less hassle for you. If you are a novice in the field, it is best to look for models with fewer features to avoid confusion. Once you gain experience, you can then try the feature-packed models such as those with milk frothers for making lattes or cappuccinos.
Size and frequency of use
Maybe you are alone in your dorm room or you share it with someone else. Chances are, you have a limited space. That is why it is best to choose a compact and small Keurig so that it will not take up much space in your room. However, if you are a heavy and frequent user to avoid constant refilling, you should settle for a model with a large water tank. As a tip, consider also its speed and how fast it can make coffee. But if you are just a light user, with one mug just enough, no need to go for the fast capacity and quick coffee making models.
Keurig 101: what you need to know about the brand “Keurig”
Keurig is one of the most popular companies in the beverage-making industry. Once you get familiar with the brand, you notice that most of its coffee makers have common characteristics. Among these are: portions in single-serving, water reservoirs refilled manually, and compatibility with coffee grounds and K-cups
The good thing about most models from Keurig is that it can produce both hot and iced beverages. Just double check the model type if it is capable of doing both temperatures, and you’re good to go.
Ease-of-use and ease-of-maintenance
Keurig coffee machines are user friendly and easy to operate because they do not have complicated functions. It is also very easy to clean and maintain.
Single-serve portions mean that these coffee makers have a capacity or capability of brewing a single or one cup at a time. The upside is that, since it does it one cup at a time, it can do it really fast, in around a minute or less. Another great fact about single-serve portions is that you can estimate enough coffee for your consumption, meaning you’ll contribute less waste, making it environmentally friendly.
Compatibility with K-cups and coffee grounds
Keurig coffee makers are compatible with K-cup pods. This makes it very convenient because you can just grab the tiny pods with portioned coffee, cocoa or tea, or even the pre-ground coffee, mix it with water, and let your Keurig machine do the rest. Hence, you can choose from the variety of types and flavors of K-cups. It’s like owning a portable mini-coffee shop, that is why it is very convenient. You can also do the same for coffee grounds.
Manual refilling for water reservoir
For most Keurig brands, water in the reservoir has to be refilled manually the moment it is low or already empty. It may sound like a drawback, but it has some upsides with it. For one, since it can be manually refilled, some models are very tiny and compact to fit inside rooms short on storage. Basically, you can use it anywhere as long as you have a power source and water source.
What are the best features I should look for in a Keurig coffee maker?
Of all the numerous features in a Keurig coffee maker, these are what you should prioritize:
- Quick brewing
- Affordable price
- Compact, small and space-saver
- Easy to use and convenient to maintain and clean
How often should a Keurig coffee maker be cleaned?
To prevent calcium build-up in your machine water reservoir, it is best to clean it once every three to six months using a descaler for your Keurig.
If you are undecided on what coffee maker to buy, it is best to go for a reliable and reputable brand. One of these companies is Keurig. This way, you will be assured of compatibility, ease-of-use and maintenance, and durability.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2022-01-21