If you’re a college student (or shopping for one), a compact and efficient Keurig coffee maker can be your best friend. But, choosing one that doesn’t crowd your dorm room is key. Let’s walk through the top choices and some handy buying tips to help you make the right decision.
Table Of Contents−
- Here Are Our Top Picks for the Best Dorm-Friendly Keurigs
- Key Considerations When Buying Your College Dorm Keurig
- Quick Guide to Keurig Coffee Makers
- In Conclusion
Here Are Our Top Picks for the Best Dorm-Friendly Keurigs
Keurig’s reputation in the beverage-making industry is well-deserved. Keeping key features and dorm space constraints in mind, here are our top Keurig coffee makers for college students.
Keurig K-Supreme Plus
The Keurig K-Supreme Plus is a standout option, offering an elevated coffee experience. Think digital display, temperature control, and preset option buttons. And with its slim, space-saving design and quiet operation, it’s an ideal dorm room companion.
Despite its excellent qualities, it does fall short on a couple of things – the Plus model lacks an adjustable tank, and the temperature difference between the second and third levels is non-existent.
- The ultimate in coffee extraction.
- Selector for strength levels.
- There are three temperature settings.
- Tank that can be repositioned.
- The design is slim and space-saving.
- Minimum amount of time spent waiting.
- The operation is quiet.
- Compatibility with K-Cups.
- Cup sizes are available in a variety of sizes.
- The Plus model does not have an adjustable tank.
- There is no difference in temperature between the second and third levels.
Keurig K250 single serve coffee maker
The K250 model stands out for its versatile brewing capacity – from single serving to brewing for a crowd, thanks to its sizable reservoir. While it might lean towards the pricier side, its compatibility with numerous coffee pods makes it a worthy investment.
- Quick to make coffee
- Compatible with many coffee pods
- Reservoir large enough to not constantly have to refill
- Can be pricey
Keurig K-classic coffee brewer
For those on a budget, the K-Classic brewer is a pocket-friendly alternative. Its vintage design and options for three different cup sizes allow for better brew control. However, it’s worth noting that the results may not always be consistent, and it’s not compatible with K-Carafe.
- Not that expensive
- With enough reservoir of 48-ounce
- Results not consistent
- Not compatible with K-Carafe
- Brew strength can be difficult to control
Keurig K-Mini Plus single-serve coffee maker
If you’re really tight on space, the compact and versatile K-Mini Plus is a fantastic pick. Its small stature doesn’t compromise the valuable features it brings to the table. However, durability might be an issue with this model – a minor mishap can lead to damage.
- Compact and good for space-saving
- Versatile in terms of pods and cup sizes
- Questionable durability
- Only has single-serving capacity
Keurig mini k15 coffee machine
For students who need something incredibly compact and affordable, the Mini K15 model is perfect. However, it does come with a few trade-offs like inconsistent results and lackluster brewing quality due to inadequate heating coil space.
- Very affordable
- Small and compact, can fit anywhere
- Inconsistent results
- Only has single-serving reservoir
- Poor brewing quality, not enough heating coil space to reach desired temperature
Although the K-Slim’s design doesn’t allow for the removal of the water reservoir, it still manages to pack in a hefty 46 oz water tank. It also features Keurig’s upgraded system for a richer, quieter brewing experience. On the downside, there are only three preset brew sizes and no temperature control options.
- Keurig’s upgraded system for richer coffee and quieter brewing is included.
- Because there is no pod-scanning technology, brews both licensed and unlicensed are available. Pods for K-Cups
- Slim design similar to the K-Minis, but with a larger 46 oz reservoir.
- There are only three preset brew sizes.
- There are no Brew Strengths or Temperature Control options.
- The water reservoir in the back is more difficult to access and refill.
- It does not include a water filter kit.
Key Considerations When Buying Your College Dorm Keurig
Although Keurig machines can be an investment, they’re typically more cost-effective in the long run compared to traditional drip coffee makers or daily coffee shop runs. Aim to strike a balance between affordability, durability, and features.
The ideal brewing temperature lies between 196 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Ensure your chosen model can achieve this.
Features and Capabilities
Look beyond aesthetics when picking your Keurig. Think about aspects such as eco-friendliness, compatibility with reusable pods, and convenience features like timed brewing.
Ease of Use, Safety, and Maintenance
A simple-to-use model with an “auto off” function for safety is always a good choice. Additionally, look for one that’s easy to clean and maintain.
Water Reservoir Size
Think about your daily coffee consumption and how often you’re willing to refill the reservoir to find the right size for you.
Experience with Using Coffee Makers
For first-time users, opt for user-friendly models with easy-to-understand button controls.
Size and Frequency of Use
Limited dorm room space calls for a compact Keurig. However, if you’re a heavy coffee drinker, consider a model with a large water reservoir and quick brewing time.
Quick Guide to Keurig Coffee Makers
Keurig is a trusted name in the beverage-making industry, known for its single-serving portions, manually refillable water reservoirs, and compatibility with coffee grounds and K-cups.
Most Keurig models are user-friendly, easy to maintain, and can produce both hot and iced beverages. Their single-serve portions mean they can brew a cup of coffee in less than a minute and create less waste.
What are the best features I should look for in a Keurig coffee maker?
Key features to consider include quick brewing, affordable price, compact size, and ease of use and maintenance.
How often should a Keurig coffee maker be cleaned?
To avoid calcium build-up, clean your Keurig’s water reservoir every three to six months using a descaler.
When it comes to choosing a coffee maker, going for a reputable brand like Keurig can be a safe bet. These machines promise compatibility, ease of use and maintenance, and durability – all essential aspects for a college student looking for the perfect dorm room coffee maker.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Remember to support us by purchasing through the Amazon/Walmart/Impact Radius links provided. Last update on 2023-12-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Disclosure: No compensation or free products were received in exchange for writing this review.
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.