Let’s talk about a coffee that’s perfect for those mornings when you need an extra caffeine kick—red eye coffee! If you haven’t heard of it before, no worries. We’re here to share everything you need to know about this powerful brew.
What Is Red Eye Coffee?
Red eye coffee is a delightful combination of your regular drip coffee with an added shot of espresso. It’s the perfect way to level up your morning cup and get that extra boost you need. And guess what? If you’re craving even more caffeine, you can add more espresso shots, giving you the “black eye” or “dead eye” variants. It’s a customizable treat for all the coffee enthusiasts out there!
Comparison of Red Eye, Black Eye, and Dead Eye Coffee
|Coffee Variant||Drip Coffee||Espresso Shots||Caffeine Content*|
|Red Eye||1 cup||1 shot||159 mg|
|Black Eye||1 cup||2 shots||223 mg|
|Dead Eye||1 cup||3 shots||287 mg|
*Caffeine content may vary based on the coffee beans and brewing methods used.
Why Choose Red Eye Coffee? We’ve all been there—those days when regular coffee just isn’t enough. Whether you’re studying for exams, working on a big project, or just trying to stay awake after a long night, red eye coffee is here to help.
Benefits of Red Eye Coffee:
- Enhances mental alertness
- Increases energy and awakeness
- Provides a stronger caffeine kick compared to regular coffee
Potential Side Effects:
- May lead to insomnia or disrupted sleep
- Can cause restlessness or jitters
- May lead to stomach discomfort due to acidity
But remember, moderation is key. Too much caffeine can lead to side effects like insomnia, restlessness, and jitters. As a general rule, adults should keep their caffeine intake below 400 mg per day.
How to Make Red Eye Coffee at Home
Ready to make your own red eye coffee? Follow this simple DIY guide:
- 1 cup of brewed drip coffee
- 1 shot of espresso
- Brew your favorite drip coffee as you normally would.
- Brew a shot of hot espresso using your espresso machine, moka pot, or French press.
- Pour the espresso shot over your brewed coffee.
- Optional: Customize your drink! Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, or creamer to taste.
- Give it a stir and enjoy your invigorating red eye coffee!
Alternative coffee beans
Now if you cannot be bothered to drive out nor brew yourself some red eye coffee, you may opt to brew coffee with high caffeine content instead. These are our recommendations:
- Black Insomnia Coffee: A cup contains 1105 mg of caffeine per 12 ounces and comes medium roasted with a strong flavor. This comes in Nespresso-compatible pods.
- Cannonball Coffee: The strongest coffee in the UK called the Maximum Charge and is available in whole beans.
- Death Wish Coffee: Highly caffeinated, organic, and fair trade. This comes in K-Cups.
- Biohazard Coffee: This is made of single-origin robusta beans with 928 mg of caffeine per 12 ounce cup and is available in ground and whole beans.
For more strong coffees, here’s our world’s strongest coffee list & strongest K-cup list.
Strongest Starbucks coffee list for those who rather drive to get their coffee.
Red Eye Coffee: Your Morning Hero
So there you have it—a guide to the wonderful world of red eye coffee. Next time you need a morning hero to help you conquer the day, you know what to brew. Cheers to that!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Last update on 2023-06-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Disclosure: No compensation or free products were received in exchange for writing this review.
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.