Shakerato coffee is a traditional Italian drink that originated in the 1990s. This refreshing iced coffee beverage is perfect for hot summer days, or for those who need an energy boost.
It’s easy, quick to make, and can be customized to your liking. Making a shakerato coffee at home is an excellent way to elevate your coffee game and impress your guests.
History and Origin
The shakerato coffee originated in Italy during the 90s when bartenders found it difficult to make a traditional iced coffee quickly. They then started making shakerato coffee, which involves shaking espresso, sugar, and ice in a cocktail shaker for a quick and refreshing drink. This drink was popularized in Milan and eventually spread throughout Italy.
To make shakerato coffee at home, you will need the following:
- 1 or 2 shots of espresso
- Sugar or simple syrup
- Ice cubes
- A cocktail shaker
- A strainer
- Optional: milk or cream
Here’s how to make shakerato coffee:
- Brew 1 or 2 shots of espresso.
- In a cocktail shaker, add sugar or simple syrup. The amount of sugar depends on your preference, but a good rule of thumb is 1 to 2 teaspoons per shot of espresso.
- Add the brewed espresso and ice cubes to the shaker.
- Shake vigorously for at least 10 seconds.
- Strain the shakerato coffee into a glass filled with ice.
- Add milk or cream if desired.
- Chocolate Shakerato: Add 1-2 tsp of chocolate syrup to the mixture before shaking.
- Vanilla Shakerato: Add 1-2 tsp of vanilla syrup to the mixture before shaking.
- Caramel Shakerato: Add 1-2 tsp of caramel syrup to the mixture before shaking.
- Nutella Shakerato: Add 1-2 tsp of Nutella to the mixture before shaking.
- Irish Shakerato: Add 1-2 tsp of Irish cream to the mixture before shaking.
Here are 10 helpful tips to keep in mind when making a shakerato coffee:
- Use fresh, high-quality coffee beans for the best flavor.
- Make sure your espresso is hot before adding it to the shaker.
- Use a cocktail shaker with a tight-fitting lid to prevent leaks.
- Shake the cocktail shaker as hard as you can to create a nice froth.
- Always strain the coffee to remove any ice chunks or excess foam.
- Experiment with different types of sugary syrups, such as vanilla or caramel.
- Add a splash of cold milk or cream after straining for a creamier texture.
- Use large ice cubes to prevent dilution of the coffee.
- Customize the amount of sugar or sweetness to your liking.
- For a truly authentic Italian experience, use a martini glass to serve your shakerato coffee in.
Shakerato coffee is a delicious and refreshing beverage that is perfect for coffee lovers. By following the steps above, you can easily make this traditional Italian drink at home.
Don’t be afraid to customize the recipe to your liking, and remember to shake the cocktail shaker as hard as you can for a beautiful froth. Enjoy your homemade shakerato coffee today!
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.