Cafe Cubano, also known as Cuban espresso, is a rich and bold coffee drink that is popular in Cuba and Latin America. It is a quick and easy way to get a strong caffeine boost in the morning or an afternoon pick-me-up.
Making a Cafe Cubano may seem intimidating, but with a few simple steps, you can create this delicious drink at home. Follow these easy steps, and you will soon be enjoying a perfect Cafe Cubano every time.
- 4 tablespoons of finely ground espresso coffee
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
Step by Step Instructions
- Begin by filling the bottom chamber of the stovetop espresso maker with cold water up to the fill line.
- Add the finely ground espresso coffee to the filter basket of the espresso maker.
- Tamp down the coffee using an espresso tamper to create a tight and even espresso puck.
- Screw the top of the espresso maker to the bottom, and place it on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Once the coffee starts to flow, remove the espresso maker from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- Divide the espresso evenly among the demitasse cups.
- Mocha: Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to your coffee and sugar mixture before boiling.
- Spiced: Add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom to your coffee and sugar mixture before boiling.
- Honey: Replace the sugar with honey for a sweeter taste.
- Use freshly roasted and finely ground espresso coffee for the best results.
- Any type of granulated sugar can be used, but raw or brown sugars may alter the flavor.
- Use a small spoon to stir the sugar into the espresso to avoid burning your fingers.
- Gently tap the side of the espresso maker with a spoon to release any trapped air before brewing.
- Do not overfill the filter basket, as this can result in a weak espresso.
- It is important to use a tamper to even out the espresso puck, as an uneven puck can result in an inconsistent brew.
- Be sure to remove the espresso maker from the heat as soon as the coffee starts to flow, as this prevents burning the espresso.
- Preheat your demitasse cups with hot water before filling them with coffee to prevent the coffee from cooling too quickly.
- For a creamier texture, add a small amount of the first few drops of espresso back into the espresso maker and brew again.
- Experiment with different types of coffee, sugars, and amounts to find the perfect Cafe Cubano recipe that suits your taste.
Making a Cafe Cubano at home is an easy and rewarding process that requires only a few simple steps and some basic equipment. With these instructions and tips, you can create a thick, smooth, and flavorful coffee that will satisfy your caffeine cravings and impress your friends and family. So, start brewing and enjoy your perfect Cafe Cubano right at home.
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.