Sustainability. You’re probably heard the word, you have guessed that it’s a good thing but you don’t know exactly what it is.
Well, sustainability can be tricky to explain but the bottomline is this: if there were not any farmers cultivating coffee plants you wouldn’t be drinking coffee and so for coffee to have a future we all need to support the farmers.
This is a very simplified answer to what sustainable coffee means because there are of course other parts of the coffee chain that can be sustainable such as roasting, brewing, waste management, packaging, re-using coffee grounds etc.
However, today we are going to talk about how you can check if the coffee beans you are buying are supporting the farmers’ livelihoods.
The good news is that there are a number of coffee certifications that can help you with this and we are going to let you know all about them.
Here’s what we are going to cover:
- Why sustainable coffee matters
- How can coffee be sustainable
- What are coffee certifications
- Different types of coffee certifications
- What’s your role in this
Why sustainable coffee matters
Climate change and low coffee prices are continuing to have a negative effect on coffee farms. While the planet’s climate is changing, the cultivation conditions on coffee farms are changing with it, making them unwelcoming for many varieties of coffee.
At the same time, the farmers earn very little income from coffee production, sometimes not even enough to support their livelihood, let alone purchasing coffee varieties that will be more resilient against climate change.
If you choose to buy certified sustainable coffee you are effectively helping these farmers and securing the future of coffee.
How can coffee be sustainable
According to Quiñones, it’s commonly accepted that sustainability is built on three pillars:
- Economic: Incomes, productivity, and cost production management
- Social: Social investment, rural education, and health insurance
- Environmental: Natural resources management and sustainable agronomic management
There are NGOs, organisations and certifications that exist to make coffee more sustainable through many actions. Some such actions are:
- Building schools for rural communities
- Teaching women how to farm to achieve gender equality
- Designing sustainable agronomic infrastructure
- Working on economic plans to secure a better income for the farm workers
- Promoting the cultivation of beans that are sustainably grown
Some certifications you might recognise yourself, maybe you even noticed them on your own bag of beans. I am going to briefly cover them for you so you know exactly what the label says when you’re about to buy those coffee beans.
What are coffee certifications
Have you ever seen the words “fair trade certified” on a bag of coffee beans? Well, that’s a type of certification! Coffee certifications are actually very important for promoting a sustainable coffee industry because:
- They guide the farmers on ways to be more sustainable
- They help the farms sell their harvest at a much better price
- They ensure you can buy coffee that is not only tasty but also sustainably grown
Let’s have a look at the most common coffee certifications, what their goal is and most importantly, what does this have to do with you.
Different types of coffee certifications
Fair Trade USA is an NGO with a focus on improving farmers’ livelihoods, building safe working conditions, developing sustainable farming practices and helping farmers pay higher wages to workers, all in exchange for a certification that allows them to sell their harvest at a higher price.
Direct Trade is a business practice that bypasses the middleman, eg. the importer. Coffee roasters buy their beans directly from the farm, thus building long-lasting relationships of trust over the years. The roasters usually search for the best coffee beans and pay a higher price that helps the community.
Certified organic coffee is a brilliant way to promote coffee sustainability as it pertains to farming practices that focus on the impact on biodiversity. This means a reduction on the use of pesticides, herbicides, and GMO crops.
This might be news for you but farming practices produce agro-chemicals that often end up in the water supply around the farm, thus affecting the biodiversity and the local communities. Growing organic coffee puts a stop to these chemicals!
The last certification I am going to cover is focusing on encouraging farmers to plan their farming and resources effectively as well as improving sustainable practices. What’s good about this certification is that if the farm doesn’t yet meet all the criteria to get it, they still get the reward if they can show they are taking steps towards sustainability.
What’s your role in this
Well, if you’ve read this far we both know you are looking to try sustainably grown coffee beans and for that you should be proud because you’re making a difference to the lives of these farmers and communities. Coffee is often their livelihood and we owe our favourite daily habit to them.
We’ve put together a list of coffee beans that have one or more of these certifications to help you with choosing:
- 100% Pure Tanzanian Peaberry Coffee from the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro that is wonderfully acidic, has a rich body, an intense flavor and a fragrant aroma coupled with mellow winy overtones.
- Medium roasted whole beans allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste.
- Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.
All of Volcanica Coffee beans packaging is committed to be sustainable and Compact by Design. With the removal of excess air and water, products require less packaging and become more efficient to ship
- 2lb. medium roast whole bean (32oz.); rich and bold with a smooth body and clean finish
- Our signature coffee blend; exhibits a rich coffee flavor with low acidity and a smooth after taste
- Sustainably sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms to protect farmers, wildlife and environment
- Freshly roasted and packaged in Dubuque, Iowa at an independent, family owned coffee company
- Kosher certified by the Orthodox Union, the world’s most trusted and recognized kosher certification
- The world's first carbon negative coffee: For every pound that’s sold, we donate a portion of the proceeds to fund reforestation in Ecuador’s Mindo cloud forest. Over time, these trees will remove 54 lbs. of CO2 from the atmosphere as well as provide habitat for native plant and animal species
- WHOLE BEAN COFFEE: 100% Organic Shade-Grown Arabica Coffee
- PRODECOOP uses its proceeds to bring improved living standards to its growing membership and fund programs in medical care, education and environmental sustainability
- Flavor Profile: Sultry, bold dark roast tones with notes of chocolate roasted leaving traditional Nicaraguan flavors of bright apricot, fig, and spice
- Craft Roasted in our vintage 90 kilo German-built Probat drum roaster retrofitted with modern fuel-efficient ribbon burners, delivering perfectly roasted coffee every time
- Certified Organic by CCOF - 100% Arabica Coffee - GMO Free
- 2LB - Whole Bean - Medium-Dark Roast
- Rich and chocolatey with profound depth of flavor, velvety body, and low acidity
- Origin: Honduras, Sharing Certified Program
- REFUNDABLE - Try Don Pablo Risk-Free: Buy now, and if you don't love our coffees, contact Burke Brands LLC directly through our Amazon Seller page, and we will happily refund your order.
- Pack of three 12-ounce vacuum bags (total of 36 ounces).
- A variety of blends for all tastes and preferences.
- USDA Organic; Fair Trade; Shade Grown for bird safety; Kosher
- Air vaccuum packaging to ensure freshness.
- Slow-roasted in our green-o-vated beanplant in Raleigh, NC.
- FRUITY | MILK CHOCOLATE | SYRUPY. Roast Level: 70. Hologram is a medium-dark roast comprised of washed and natural coffees from Latin America and Africa. The components change over the seasons, but the coffee always tastes fruity, chocolatey, and complex.
- CERTIFIED KOSHER whole bean coffee. We source only exceptional coffee beans that are sustainably farmed and environmentally sustainable. We maintain detailed relationships with each of our partners.
- BLEND COMPONENTS: 65% URCUNINA, COLOMBIA / 13% GEDE NATURAL, ETHIOPIA / 12% MUDA NATURAL, ETHIOPIA / 10% KUSHIKAMANA, KENYA.
- SINCE OUR FOUNDING IN 1995, Counter Culture has been a relentless pursuit of coffee perfection through a dedication to real environmental, social, and fiscal sustainability and a commitment to creating cutting-edge coffee people.
- 8 oz GROUND COFFEE: Our Ground Lush Medium Dark roast premium coffee is a crowd favorite. A full bodied cup, alive with fruit, smoke, and earth tasting notes. The perfect wake up call for any coffee lover.
- ARTISAN ROASTED: Every delicious cup of Ethical Bean Coffee has been crafted with one simple objective in mind - to make the best fairtrade coffee on the planet. Artisan roasted in Vancouver, Canada, we test it, slurp it, and stamp it with an “e” – so that you’ll love it with the same passion that went into creating it.
- FAIRTRADE, ORGANIC, KOSHER, B CORP CERTIFIED: We’ve got you covered with credible third party social and environmental certifications. Better for farmers and their families, better for the planet, and of course, better for you.
- THE PERFECT GIFT: A freshly ground bag of Lush coffee is the best gift no matter what type of coffee maker someone has at home. The medium dark roast balance is perfect for anyone who loves the pure taste of coffee.
- SOUTH AND CENTRAL AMERICAN ORIGIN: Our Lush roast is sourced seasonally from premium Latin American arabica coffee, shade grown at high altitudes. Scan the QR code sticker on the back of your bag to learn more about where your coffee was grown, when it was roasted, all flavours and view insider cupping, tasting and roasting details.
- WORLD’S STRONGEST COFFEE: Our ground coffee beans will transform your basic cup of joe into a delicious, bold, and intense beverage that will revolutionize your morning.
- QUALITY BREW: Hands down, the best coffee grounds in the world. One sip of Death Wish Coffee will have you saying goodbye to store-bought forever. Enjoy the highest quality energy and artisanal flavor with every sip.
- BOLD FLAVOR: Immerse yourself in a smooth, subtle, never bitter cherry and chocolate flavor profile. We've carefully selected and expertly ground premium Arabica and Robusta coffee beans from around the world to deliver you a dark roast ground coffee beverage with a bold taste you’ll instantly fall in love with.
- FAIR AND ORGANIC: Every 16 oz. bag of Death Wish Ground Coffee is bursting with Fair Trade, USDA Certified Organic coffee, giving you a natural caffeine boost you can be proud to support.
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: Death Wish Coffee comes highly rated by thousands of satisfied customers who can't get enough of our coffee. But we'll let you be the judge. If you don't love our dark roast ground coffee, we'll refund your order, no questions asked.
- One 12 oz. bag of Ethical Bean Sweet Espresso whole bean medium dark roast coffee
- Certified fairtrade coffee. Fairtrade certification ensures farmers receive a price that covers their average costs of sustainable production
- Certified organic coffee. USDA organic coffee is without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
- 100% arabica coffee. A medium dark roast that marries beautifully with milk
- Resealable bag with easy pull-tab and zip lock seal for long-lasting freshness
- Trace the unique journey of your ground coffee. Flip your bag, point the camera on your smartphone, and trace these beans to the co-ops by scanning the unique QR code.
- DARK ROAST, COARSE GROUND COFFEE: Make Wandering Bear Extra Strong Cold Brew at home. Dark but not burnt, full-bodied and chocolaty. Coarse grind is perfect for cold brew, French press and works well in drip machines. Makes 20 glasses per pound.
- 100% ORGANIC COFFEE: Carefully ground coarse specifically for cold brewing (also perfect for French press).
- ROASTED IN BROOKLYN, NY: Small-batch roasted and packed fresh in one-way valve bags to preserve freshness until opening.
- OUR NO-LONGER-SECRET COLD BREW RECIPE: We recommend using 3 cups of water to 1 cup of Wandering Bear Coarse Ground Coffee. Steep for 12-24 hours in the fridge. Then, plunge if using a French Press, or filter. Serve over ice with your favorite creamer or sweetener and enjoy!
- THIS JUST IN: Our moms say Wandering Bear Coarse Ground Coffee is also great brewed hot. We offer a 100% guarantee on our products, so if you have any issues, please get in touch!
- Medium Roast Whole Bean Coffee: Caffeinated coffee with distinct notes of cinnamon, plum, and orange with a cocoa hazelnut finish
- High Quality Beans: Expertly-picked by hand to provide the highest quality beans and maintain maximum integrity and flavor, following organic practices without the negative financial impact a certification has on local farmers
- Certified Clean: Tested for impurities to help to keep your coffee pure and clean; Keeps you jitter free
- Sustainable Standards: Rainforest Alliance Certified using ingredients and best practices that support farm, forest communities and families
- Whole Bean: Adjust your grind to your preference
- Wild Ethically Sourced Premium Kopi Luwak Ground Coffee
- Roasted Ground Coffee Beans - 500 Grams
- Imported From Indonesia
- Tasting Notes: Smooth, not bitter, with a complex aroma. Hints of Caramel & Chocolate.
- Hair Bender: The sweet and balanced coffee that started it all. Hair Bender is our most popular coffee with good reason. It’s a day-maker however you brew it
- Flavor: A cup of Hair Bender Blend has clarity and complexity; Indonesia’s rich textures are balanced by the classic flavors of Latin America and Africa. 100% Arabica coffee with tasting notes of citrus and dark chocolate
- Choose Your Brew: We expertly roast coffee beans for every taste, from light to dark roasts and single origin coffees to bold blends, bringing out the full potential of every bean
- Freshly Roasted: Our innovative bags keep coffee fresh for 90 days if left unopened. Most bags will show both "roasted on" and "best by" dates. Enjoy all coffee within 2 weeks of opening
- Contents: 1- 12 Ounce Bag of Stumptown Hair Bender Whole Bean Coffee
- MAX FRESH small batch, roast date hand stamped
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC because it's the right way
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED locally roasted in NYC
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-08-30