What is organic coffee?
You may have noted there are a variety of coffee in the market today. Organic coffee happens to be one of them. And unlike conventional coffee, organic coffee is produced without the aid of artificial chemicals such as pesticides. In other words, for a coffee to be labeled ‘organic’, 95% of the beans must have been grown under organic conditions.
So, what does it means to grow coffee under organic conditions? It simply means;
- Working within the local environment without disrupting the balance of natural ecological systems.
- Using traditional farming methods (eg. crop rotations) to manage weeds, pests, and soil health.
- Actively managing their land to restore, maintain, and enhance local biodiversity.
- Using methods to minimize pollution in the air, water, and soil.
The push to organic farming is to make sure farmers health is not hurt in the production process. Additionally, there is a need to conserve our environment. The high-level application of artificial chemicals has been linked to environmental degradation. Shifting to organic farming will unquestionably bring everything to normalcy.
Organic farming is not left to the farmers only; even coffee roasters have to comply with the set standards. The United State Department of Agriculture (USDA) sets the standards that must be met for a product to carry the label ’Organic’. For example, organic beans must be roasted on different roasters. This is to make sure the organic status is not lost in the roasting process.
What you need to know when choosing organic beans
Set standards govern organic coffee production. USDA is one of the major bodies that set those standards. It clearly defines what is organic coffee. Going through those standards can help you make a sound decision. If living outside the US, you may want to check with authorities that regulate the growth of organic coffee in your area.
Best organic coffee
Below we have handpicked the best organic coffee you may want to consider. Of course, feel free to try other brands you may come across. Now let’s have a look at what we have for you.
Death Wish Coffee
Below are reasons why you need to try this coffee.
- USDA organic
- Formulated for a smooth, never-bitter taste
- Has notes of cherry and chocolate
- Includes both Arabica and robust beans
Volcanica Coffee’s Organic Range
- Certified organic, Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance
- Arabica coffee beans
Kicking Horse Coffee, Smart Ass
- 100% arabica beans sourced from africa, Indonesia, Central, and South America.
- USDA organic
- Sweet, bright flavors of a great medium roast
- Roasted in Canada
- Certified by Ecocert Canada (COR)
- Redcurrant notes with hints of sugar cane and milk chocolate.
Kicking Horse Coffee, Three Sisters
- Sourced from Indonesia, Central, and South America
- Medium roast
- Whole beans
- Certified organic
- Notes of sweet tobacco, stone fruit, and cocoa.
Camano Island Coffee Roasters
Here are the reasons why this Fair Trade organic coffee will not disappoint.
- 100% arabica coffee
- Freshly roasted coffee
- USDA certified organic
- Dark to medium-dark roast.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Tiny Footprint Coffee
- 100% Organic Shade-Grown Arabica Coffee
- Carbon negative and earth positive
- A blend crafted entirely for cold brew
- Notes of floral, fruity, and cocoa.
Don Pablo Subtle Earth Organic
- Arabica coffee beans
- Low-acidity coffee
- Medium to dark roast
- style=”font-weight: 400;”>Grow in the Marcala region of Honduras
- Notes of chocolate, honey, and caramel
What are the benefits of brewing with organic beans?
There are many reasons today why it is necessary to use organic beans. Below, we take you through three reasons why it is a plus to shift to organic coffee today.
- They are much healthier: The tons of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals in them make them the best option. Besides, remember there are free from additives.
- Free from pesticides: You are sure you are consuming coffee beans free from any artificial chemicals. This means you are not subjecting your life to any form of harm.
- Environmental conservation: When you buy organic coffee, you are promoting organic companies championing organic farming. Eventually, you are also contributing to the call to preserve our environment.
There are many reasons why buying organic coffee today is a big plus. In fact, most of the top brands we have talked about are available even at local stores. It is also possible those stores near you sell organic coffee. If not feel free to order online and remember to double-check to avoid getting duped.