Tips to Prepare a Gourmet Coffee Beverage With Apple Cider
There are countless ways to transform a plain cup of joe into a wonderful flavored coffee beverage, but the ingredients in a Normandy give it the perfect flavor for this time of year. According to the World Encyclopedia of Coffee, 2002, the drink takes its name from Normandy France, a region famous for its apple orchards. Basically, the recipe involves one part coffee to one part cider, with a tablespoon or so of brown sugar. If you want to dress it up, a few orange slices, cinnamon sticks, and a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom will do the trick.
Here are three convenient ways to prepare this autumn flavored coffee drink: on the stove, in the coffee maker, and in the microwave. Whether you’re getting ready for a chilly workday morning or a fall festival, one of these recipes is bound to fit your schedule. And for dessert, how about a recipe for Caramel Apple Normandy Coffee?
Gourmet Normandy Coffee On The Stove:
This traditional version of the recipe is for people that long for a simpler time-gone-by as autumn rolls around. A jar of Apple Pie Spice at the grocery store contains all the flavor needed, and cinnamon sticks make fragrant stirrers.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 6 thin orange slices
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg and cardamom if handy
Check out our article on where you can get these ingredients for your coffee.
Combine ingredients into a saucepan and bring to medium heat. Reduce to low and let simmer for ten minutes with boiling. Strain and drink.
Gourmet Normandy Coffee In The Coffee Maker:
This recipe can brew while you get the house ready for a fall party. The kitchen will smell like all your favorite memories of autumn.
- Place enough grounds for half a pot of coffee (probably ¼ cup) into your coffee filter.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp cinnamon on top with a pinch of nutmeg and cardamom if handy.
- Fill the pot half full with water and pour into the machine.
- Now, refill the pot you just emptied a bit less than half full with apple cider.
- Stir 2 to 3 tablespoons of brown sugar into the cider.
- Put the pot of cider in place and turn on the coffee maker.
Gourmet Normandy Coffee In The Microwave:
Here’s a recipe that’ll let you grab a Normandy on the go. It’s the perfect drink to savor during your morning commute. By the last sip, you’ll be ready to meet the workday.
- Fill half a mug with strongly brewed coffee.
- Stir in a tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Fill the mug the rest of the way with apple cider.
- Heat for 30-60 seconds in a non-metal container.
- Stir and drink.
Caramel Apple Flavored Normandy Coffee:
This recipe makes an excellent dessert beverage jazzy enough to impress guests and simple enough to enjoy on your own.
- Make a Normandy Coffee using any of the three recipes above.
- Stir in a tablespoon of caramel ice cream topping for each serving.
- Pour into mugs
- Top with whipped cream.
- As a final touch, sprinkle chocolate shavings or cinnamon.
Autumn has always been a time for looking back on the year’s work and enjoying the returns of your labor. What better way to do this than in the brisk September air, with a warm mug of Normandy in your hand? After baristas serve this recipe, they may also want to make another great seasonal flavored coffee beverage: Pumpkin Pie Latte.