Keurig coffee machines have helped thousands of households prepare their cups of coffee without any hassle, except for the regular maintenance required. One of which is the need to replace water filters to keep your machine brewing at its best. To learn how to do this efficiently, you better tune in!
To get that high-quality brew, Keurig machines need water at a certain hardness level and the way to do this is through the use of a filter. At one point or another, this filter will need replacing.
Why should you change filters regularly?
Your cup of coffee is 95% water so the taste of your cup of Joe largely depends on the quality of water too! The cleaner your water is, the more you get the most out of the coffee beans’ flavor.
Since filtered water prevents rust buildup and the presence of other organic substances, your machine will surely have a longer life span.
How frequent should water filters be cleaned?
Every after use
After using the machine, discard the leftover coffee from the carafe, wash it using water and a mild detergent for around 30 seconds. Then, rinse thoroughly. This to also ensure that you get a fresh cup of coffee the next time you brew.
Every two days
Now every after a couple of days, check the K-cup holder for any leftover grounds. If there are, remove them using a soft sponge. Doing so is vital since leftover grounds can clog up the needle and may block the entry and exit points. You can simply use a paperclip to manually remove the debris out of the needle.
- Keurig 2. 0 Brewer maintenance accessory cleaning tool is for Keurig 2. 0 machines (will not work with other Keurig machines)
- Will not work with other brands of Coffee makers.
- Cleaning tool will only help with Cleaning clogged needles. Will not help with other Coffee maker issues.
- Includes instruction manual
- Genuine Keurig Product
Every two weeks
Every 2 weeks, it would be helpful to take the tray and the K-cup holder out and clean them with a soft spond and a mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry completely. To clean the rest of the non-removable parts, simply wipe the surfaces with a cloth dipped in a soap solution then rinse. Make sure to allow it to dry to keep your coffee tasting well.
After two months
Replace the water filter every two months to ensure efficiency.
After 2-4 months
Every after 2-4 months, you’d have to descale your machine to get rid of any limescale and mineral buildup. To do so, add 10 ounces of Keurig’s descaling solution or white vinegar in the water tank. Start a brew without any pods inside and have a mug ready to collect the solution that will do. Repeat this until all the solution has been used up. Then, repeat everything but this time with clean water only. You can freely keep running a brew until any smell from the solution is gone.
Replacing the water filter in Keurig 2.0
To begin with, the filter is located in the rear water reservoir of the machine and it can be accessed by removing the top of the water reservoir. We recommend that you replace the filter after two months or every 60 brews, whichever comes first.
- For better tasting beverages
- Filters for water filter accessory
- Place cartridge in Water Filter Assembly
- Insert into water reservoir
- 2 x Six water filters in Keurig Retail Box
Removing the old filter
- Remove the top of the water reservoir on the left-hand side of the machine, at least for most Keurig models.
- Pull the filter unit out by grasping the handle of the upper filter firmly.
- Open the filter holder and remove the used filter using your thumb and index finger to pinch in the tabs of the filter unit at the bottom.
- Pull down for the lower filter holder to be released so you can finally pull out the old filter.
- Throw the old filter away!
Installing the new one
- Purchase a new Keurig filter package online through major retailers such as Amazon and Walmart or from department and grocery stores.
- Have the filter soaked in water for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once soaking is done, rinse the filter with tap water on a medium flow for 1 full minute.
- Rinse the lower filter holder with tap water to remove any buildup. Don’t forget to include the sides too!
- Slide the new filter into the filter holder making sure that the rounded top-side is facing upwards.
- Fix the lower filter holder in place beneath it.
- Snap both sides of the filter holder in place.
- Twist the replacement dial 2 months ahead the current month. For instance, it’s October (month 10) currently, set the dial to 12 (December). This will remind you to replace the filter after 2 months.
- Put the filter unit back into the Keurig reservoir by having the external side of the lower filter hold snap into place upon pressing down firmly.
- Better tasting beverages: Reduces flavor carry over between brews
- Quickest way to clean your k cup pod holder: Rinse away residue and oils that can build up in your coffee maker
- Easy to use: Use just like you would a regular k cup pod
- Safe and effective: Gentle and odorless formula
- Use weekly: Or any time after brewing a flavored coffee, cocoa, or tea
Descaling a Keurig 2.0
We have discussed how vital descaling is for any machine. It cleans any buildup that may otherwise hasten your machine’s wear and tear. There are also some models that alert you when it’s time for descaling. Here’s a quick rundown on how to descale:
What you’ll need:
- Clean water
- Large bowl or mug
- Descaling solution
- Cleanse Your Coffee Maker: Use Every 3 Months to Clean and Remove Mineral Deposits That Can Built Up Inside Your Coffee Maker
- Improve Coffee Taste: By Removing Mineral Buildup That Can Affect the Taste of Your Beverages
- SAFE AND GENTLE: citric acid safely cleans inside your coffee maker without harming your brewer
- FAST ACTING AND ODORLESS: cleanses and rinses away mineral build up without leaving behind any odor or residual taste
- EFFECTIVE AND EASY TO USE: clean and extend the longevity of your brewer while enjoying better tasting beverages in under 45 minutes
- Empty the water reservoir, take the water filter out, turn the brewer off, and unplug the machine.
- Pour in a bottle of the descaling solution and 14 ounces worth of water into the water reservoir.
- Turn the brewer on.
- Place a mug or bowl on the drip tray.
- Open and close the handle but do not put in a pod.
- Press the brew button.
- 6 ounce setting for Keurig K250
- 10 ounce setting for K350, K450, and K550
- Wait until the solution comes out and discard them off the mug or bowl.
- Keep repeating the process until you see the brewer display “more water please.”
- Let that sit for about 30 minutes without turning the machine off.
- Empty the water reservoir and rinse thoroughly.
- Now to rinse, repeat the process but this time, fill the reservoir with clean water only.
- Do this until the machine has no signs of residue or smell from the descaling solution.
- Wash the removable parts with mild soap and wipe the rest of the machine with a damp cloth.
- Clean the exit needle and K-Cup holder as well!
- Let everything dry completely before using the machine again.
Now if you don’t have a descaling solution, you throw in white vinegar up to ⅔ of the reservoir and fill the rest up with water and follow the steps above.
There are strong benefits why you should clean and maintain your Keurig regularly. It will not only make your coffee clean from any harmful substances, but it will also give you a great-tasting coffee every time. Plus, you will be able to enjoy your machine for longer! We hope that this article helped you understand the importance of regular maintenance. Cheers!
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2022-05-13