If you’re a fan of classic cocktails and coffee, you’ll love the coffee old-fashioned cocktail. This drink combines the rich flavors of bourbon or rye whiskey, bitters, simple syrup, and cold brew coffee, resulting in a perfect balance of sweetness, bitterness, and warmth.
Whether you want to impress your guests or simply enjoy a nightcap, the old-fashioned coffee is an excellent choice.
History and Origin:
The old-fashioned cocktail has been around since the 1800s and has been a staple in bars and households ever since. The classic old-fashioned recipe includes bourbon or rye whiskey, bitters, sugar, and water.
The coffee old fashioned, however, is a modern twist on the classic recipe that emerged in recent years as coffee culture continues to grow in popularity. It’s not clear who invented the coffee old fashioned, but it’s believed to have originated in bars and restaurants in major cities like New York and San Francisco.
- 2 oz bourbon or rye whiskey
- 1/4 oz simple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 1/4 oz cold brew coffee concentrate
- Orange twist, for garnish
- In a mixing glass, add bourbon or rye whiskey, simple syrup, Angostura bitters, and orange bitters.
- Add ice to the mixing glass and stir for about 15-20 seconds.
- In a rocks glass, add a large ice cube or a few smaller ice cubes.
- Strain the cocktail over the ice in the rocks glass.
- Add the cold brew coffee concentrate and give the cocktail a gentle stir.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
- Enjoy your coffee old-fashioned cocktail!
- Substitute bourbon or rye whiskey with rum or brandy for a different flavor profile.
- Use different types of bitters, such as chocolate or mole bitters, to add a unique twist to the cocktail.
- Add a splash of coffee liqueur, like Kahlua, for additional coffee flavor.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick or a few coffee beans for an extra touch.
Tips: Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect coffee old-fashioned cocktail:
- Use high-quality ingredients, especially when it comes to the whiskey and bitters.
- Make sure to stir the cocktail properly to achieve the perfect balance of flavors.
- Use a large ice cube or a few smaller ones to prevent the cocktail from getting too watered down.
- Cold brew coffee concentrate works best for this recipe as it is less acidic than regular brewed coffee.
- Experiment with different ratios of whiskey, coffee, and simple syrup until you find the perfect balance for your taste.
- Use fresh orange peel for garnish to add a hint of citrus to the cocktail.
- Chill your glassware before serving to keep the cocktail cold.
- If you don’t have a mixing glass, you can use a shaker or a mason jar.
- Don’t overdo it with the bitters – a little goes a long way.
- Finally, enjoy your cocktail responsibly!
The coffee old-fashioned cocktail is a delicious and unique twist on the classic old-fashioned that combines the warmth of whiskey with the richness of coffee. With a few high-quality ingredients and some careful preparation, you can easily make this cocktail at home and impress your guests.
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.