Table of Contents
If you are a coffee lover, you will agree to the fact that there is no better way to start your day than drinking a good cup of coffee. Choosing an easy and inexpensive method to brew a mug is the tricky part here. Most coffee makers out there are costly, with many going well over a thousand dollars. Therefore, we have compiled together this review of the Delonghi EC155, which is an extremely easy-to-use and affordable coffee maker, perfect for beginners.
The Delonghi EC155 is an entry-level coffee maker which is popular among people for its taste and its affordability. Delonghi itself is a well-known Italian brand that has been around for just over a hundred years. It is known for its quality products, and this little machine is no exception. It can brew creamy lattes, cappuccinos, and espressos depending on what you like. It is an automatic machine, which takes a few steps to make a cup, making it convenient for amateurs. It takes little space and is easy to clean up as compared to many others.
Build and Design
Let’s look at some technical specifications
The Machine itself
- Height 11.12 inches
- Width 7.50 inches
- Depth 9.50 inches
- Weight 6.68 pounds
- Boiler Material Stainless Steel
- Case Material Plastic
- Drip Tray Stainless Steel
- Drainable Drip Tray Available
- Capacity 1 liter
- Material Plastic
- Detachable Yes
- Material Stainless Steel
- Handle Rubber
- Tip-Holes 2
- Movement Circular only
- Type Pressurized
- Inner Diameter 54.6mm at top
- 51.2mm at bottom
- Tamper Size 52mm
- Single Filter Basket 0.2 ounces
- Double Filter Basket 0.4 ounces
- Cup Clearance 2.5 inches
- Brew Time 1 min 45 sec
- Steam Time 42 seconds
- Auto Shut-off: No
- Auto On: No
- Pod-Friendly: Yes
- Wattage 1100W
What’s in the box
- Single Filter Basket
- Double Filter Basket
The swivel jet frother that comes with this machine is its highlight. It mixes air, steam, and milk to produce the best foam for your cappuccinos. Next, you can add this frothy milk to your coffee and even make some fancy art to create it perfect looking.
The single and the double metal filter baskets have an identical girth but have different tasks. The single filer is responsible for making single shot coffees and the other to brew double shot ones.
The portafilter is used to load, contain, and brew the coffee grounds. The metal built filter with a rubber handle is specially designed to withstand the high temperatures and pressures while brewing coffee. This filter fixes itself when mounted correctly within the grouphead in the middle of the machine.
The machine itself is simple to use. It has a big dial in the top middle, that does all the work. The dial itself has four functions with their associated symbols, which include heating, steaming, resting, and brewing. All you need to do is rotate the dial to the task you want the machine to perform, and it will do the rest of the work for you. Along with the knob, is one light that says “OK.” This light turns green from red when the water is hot enough for either steaming or brewing.
How Well Does It Perform
When it comes to performance, this machine is no joke despite its low price. The best part is its self-priming function, which saves you from doing a bunch of work and delivers a couple of cups in just 3-4 minutes. Once you start up the machine, it does all the work by itself and readies up the machine to make you the perfect cup of coffee, allowing you to do other stuff, such as getting the cup or the milk ready.
The separate thermostats for water and steam temperatures help you get the perfect warmth needed for each of them. This allows you to keep the optimum temperature for the water and steam, without having to worry about tasting burned milk. This allows the results to be consistent, and give you the perfect cup of coffee every time. All you need is a little practice to make them as tasty as you want.
Despite its mind-boggling performance, it still has its drawbacks.
- First of all, this machine has just one boiler to supply steam production and water, which can result in some degree of inconsistency.
- There is also a high chance that your froth comes out a bit watery making it undesirable at times.
- Also, the plastic parts are a big concern when handling such a machine. It does not quite have the durability to protect the consumer from getting burnt if they are not careful enough.
- Although being a stylish appliance, it is a bit slow. If you prefer a faster performing machine, this might not be a good option for you. It takes considerably more time to brew and pour the coffee as compared to its expensive rivals.
- Also, many people complain about it being noisy and question its longevity because of the lower price and low-end mechanics. Due to this, there is a lot of vibration while the machine is brewing.
How Easy Is It To Use
The Delonghi EC155 can brew a delicious cup of coffee effortlessly. It takes only a few simple steps to get the work done. To simplify it, here are all the steps necessary to make a delicious cup of coffee.
- First of all, you need to do is to Power on the machine by plugging it in the socket.
- Then take out the water tank from the back of the device and fill it up with as much water as needed. Then put it back in, and get ready to operate the control panel, that will do all the work once given the command.
- When the dial is in the middle position, it means that it is turned off. Just turn it one click to the right, and the water will start to boil. Once the “OK” light turns green, it means the boiler is up to the temperature.
- That is when you need to set the dial to the extreme right. Then once it is green, get an empty glass to fill it with any liquid that might be in there, by rotating the steam knob on the top of the machine.
- Then steam the milk by doing the same, but instead of an empty glass, use the one with milk in it.
- Once it is all foamy, get ready to grind the coffee beans style=”font-weight: 400;”>. Also, if the green light turns off, move the dialer to the left once to let it boil once again.
- Meanwhile, grind the coffee beans with a grinder. Once the coffee is grounded, fill it in the single or the double filter basket and attach it to the portafilter with the machine. You can also use the built-in tamper to level the grounded coffee.
- Then rotate the dialer to the extreme right again to brew the coffee. Make sure that the “OK” light is green before you start brewing. Keep in mind that brewing is not automatic, and you have to turn it off once you have enough espresso in your cup.
- Once done, pour it into a mug and add the steamy milk to it and voila! Your perfect coffee would be ready without much effort and in just a few minutes.
PROS and CONS
This device, like all the other devices, has its pros and cons. The critical factor in deciding whether to buy this product is whether the pros outweigh the cons for the consumer. So, to make things easier, here is a list of all the pros and cons of this machine.
- Very inexpensive as compared to other coffee brewing machines, making it affordable for a broader audience.
- Fairly easy-to-use, making it an ideal option for beginners and other people in general who do not like putting in much effort, but still prefer an excellent tasting coffee.
- It is easy to clean as many parts are detachable and the stainless steel boiler is easy to wipe with a towel or a cloth.
- The built-in tamper saves from extra expenditure to get a new one, making it perfect for beginning baristas.
- The high-pressure pumps make good quality and delicious shots of espresso with any grind.
- The brewing time is adequate according to its price, and the one-liter water tank is very suitable for home use.
- It is a noisy machine as it vibrates too much when it is brewing. It can be very uncomfortable and annoying at times. The glass may also slip if it is placed on the machine as it vibrates.
- Unreliability is also a significant drawback. One can not merely guarantee how long it would last. The statistics vary for every individual. Many have reported it to last well over five years, and some even complain about it for lasting a few months.
- It also leaks water at times, because of the build, and it can be dangerous because of its boiling temperature.
- Although the clean up itself is easy, there is a bit of a mess when cleaning it up.
- The foam can be watery at times when adding it to the milk, which can alter its taste.
- The filter basket is a bit hard to use. It can become twisted in the filter head if not handled appropriately.
- There are about 2.5 inches below the espresso pour spout, which means you need a pretty small cup to fill with espresso. Larger cups just won’t fit in it.
- The machine pours the coffee manually. Hence, you need to keep a check on it and turn it off yourself to avoid the cup from overfilling.
- This machine takes considerably more time to prepare a cup of coffee as compared to other but expensive rivals.
- You need to get a separate grinder as this does not come with one, adding more to the overall expense.
- You can not brew customizable coffee in this machine.
How Well Does It Compare?
The closest competition the Delonghi EC155 has is the Breville ESP8XL. Both come around a similar price tag, although the Breville is a bit more expensive. But still, both of them have more or less the same features. The Breville, however, is heavier but also features more water tank capacity as compared to the Delonghi. The Breville also has an external water window and a water level indicator, which the Delonghi does not.
Another worthy opponent is the Nespresso EN80BAE. It is a product of the same company and comes around a similar price tag. However, it is far more compact and lightweight as compared to the EC155. However, due to its smaller size, the water tank capacity is just 700ml. Also, it uses the Nespresso pod system only which is a significant flaw.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is it a suitable machine for beginners?
The Delonghi EC155 is a simple and an easy-to-use machine which is ideal for beginners as it does not require much practice before you perfect your coffee making. It is also very inexpensive as compared to others, allowing you to learn before you decide to invest more in it.
- How do I descale my Delonghi EC155?
The descaling process is pretty simple. Turn the machine on and then take out the water tank and empty it up. Add 100 ml of descaling fluid in the tank, and fill the rest of it up with clean water. Add it to back to the machine and wait for the “OK” light to turn on. Once ready, place a large container under the steam wand and the boiler outlet. Then turn the dial to the extreme right. Let it drain all the water along with the fluid in the container. After about 10 seconds, turn the steam dial on as well to allow the solution to flow through the steam wand too. After ten more seconds, turn both dials off and let the device rest for about 10-15 minutes. Then continue this process in several intervals till the tank is empty. Once done, take out the tank and fill it with fresh water only. Repeat the draining process once again to make sure that it is clean of any descaling solution.
- What is the ideal size of tamper for this machine?
The ideal size for a tamper would be 52mm for this device. That is in case one decides to for a separate tamper than the one built-in
- How much time does it take to brew a shot?
The time varies according to how much you brew. Typically, it takes somewhere around 25-30 seconds. Multiple factors can affect the timings, which include the tightness of the filter, the size of the grind, size of the cup, etc.
- How deep should I insert the steam wand in the milk for best results?
To get the best results, experts recommend that you submerge the tip about 5 mm into the milk. The ridge on the wand is also present at 5 mm to help you out.
- Where can I get the Delonghi EC155 online?
The Delonghi EC155 is available on multiple websites to order online at affordable prices. You can order one from Best Buy, eBay, Walmart, Amazon, etc.
Before we give our final verdict, let us see how well does it rate overall. To calculate the aggregate rating, we will consider the price, style, performance, safety, espresso quality, convenience, and design.
- Price – 10/10
- Style – 9/10
- Performance – 9/10
- Safety – 7/10
- Espresso Quality – 8/10
- Convenience – 8/10
- Design – 8/10
Overall Rating – 8.5/10
Conclusively, this appliance is perfect for beginners who don’t want to spend a fortune and still want delicious tasting coffee at their homes. Its compact design makes it portable, and its easy-to-use functions allow the user to brew the perfect coffee. Despite its cons, it is still an excellent option for those who like their coffee simple and drink it regularly. It does not perform nearly as well as its more expensive competitors, but if you talk about the value of money, it takes a reasonably good leap in its class. If you are looking for a product that would last a couple of years, this is it. Don’t expect longevity, but it is reliable if used appropriately and with care.