Hey there, coffee lovers! If you’re a fan of the pour-over brewing method, you’ve probably come across the iconic Chemex coffee maker. But did you know that there are two main types of Chemex coffee makers—the Handblown and the Classic?
Well, you’re in for a treat because we’re about to explore the ins and outs of these two beauties. So, grab your favorite cup of coffee, and let’s dive in!
The Chemex Coffee Maker: A Timeless Classic
The Chemex coffee maker has been a favorite among coffee enthusiasts since its invention in 1941. With its elegant hourglass design and wooden collar, it’s not just a coffee maker—it’s a piece of art! The Chemex’s secret weapon is its proprietary bonded filters that create a clean, full-flavored cup of coffee.
Now, let’s meet the two stars of the show: the Handblown and Classic Chemex.
Comparing the Chemex Handblown and Classic:
|Feature||Handblown Chemex||Classic Chemex|
|Durability||More Durable||More Fragile|
|Available Cup Sizes||3, 5, 8, 13||3, 6, 8, 10|
|Unique Variations||Yes (Slight Variance)||No (Uniform Design)|
Advantages of Handblown Chemex:
- Unique artisanal craftsmanship
- Thicker glass for better durability and heat retention
- Each unit is slightly different, making it a collector’s item
Advantages of Classic Chemex:
- More budget-friendly option
- Available in popular cup sizes
- Consistent design and quality
Choosing the Right Chemex for You: Considerations and Recommendations
When it comes to choosing between the Chemex Handblown and Classic, consider the following factors:
Lifestyle and Usage:
- Are you a casual coffee drinker or a passionate coffee enthusiast?
- How often do you brew coffee at home?
- Are you looking for a functional coffee maker or a statement piece for your kitchen?
- What is your budget for a coffee maker?
- Are you willing to invest in a premium, artisanal product, or are you looking for a more affordable option?
Aesthetics and Craftsmanship:
- Do you appreciate handcrafted items with unique variations?
- Are you drawn to the artistic and heirloom qualities of the Handblown Chemex?
Durability and Heat Retention:
- Is durability a major concern for you?
- Would you prefer a coffee maker that retains heat for a longer period of time?
Go for the Handblown Chemex if:
- You’re a coffee enthusiast who values the artisanal craftsmanship and uniqueness of each piece.
- You’re willing to invest in a premium coffee maker that doubles as a work of art for your kitchen or coffee station.
- You appreciate the added durability and heat retention that come with the thicker glass of the Handblown Chemex.
- You’re looking for an heirloom-quality coffee maker that can be passed down through generations.
- You’re open to variations in size and structure, making each Handblown Chemex one-of-a-kind.
Go for the Classic Chemex if:
- You’re new to the pour-over coffee method and want to start with a more budget-friendly option.
- You’re looking for a consistent design and quality, made possible by the mass production of the Classic Chemex.
- You want to enjoy the same flavorful, clear coffee that Chemex is known for without the premium price tag of the Handblown version.
- You prefer a lightweight and easy-to-handle coffee maker, thanks to the thinner glass of the Classic Chemex.
- You want a reliable and timeless coffee maker that delivers great coffee every time.
Ultimately, the decision between the Chemex Handblown and Classic comes down to your personal preferences, budget, and lifestyle. Both models offer the signature Chemex brewing experience, producing a delicious cup of coffee that you’ll love.
Whether you choose the artisanal touch of the Handblown or the timeless appeal of the Classic, you’re in for a delightful coffee journey. Cheers to finding the perfect Chemex for you, and happy brewing!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Remember to support us by purchasing through the Amazon/Walmart/Impact Radius links provided. Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Disclosure: No compensation or free products were received in exchange for writing this review.
The editorial staff at Crazy Coffee Crave is a team of coffee enthusiasts & Baristas who enjoy the one thing we all think about as soon as we get up in the morning. Trusted by thousands of readers worldwide.