Everyone loves a tasty cup of coffee. What everyone loves more than this is not having to pay too much for it. Now, I am pretty sure that coffee lovers know how expensive it is to get yourself a decent coffee brewer at home. Many coffee makers cost as much as a compact car! Breville, however, breaks these standards. It is an Australian company which specializes in making top-notch kitchen appliances. The Breville 800esxl is no exception to that. This machine is capable of brewing exceptionally great-tasting espresso in a short time. The best part is, it costs just under $500, which makes it one of the most affordable high-end coffee makers in the market.
The Breville 800ESXL 15-Bar Triple-Priming Die-Cast Espresso Machine is made up of stainless steel and is perfect for beginners, and even for those at an intermediate level. It has a professional design and is capable of pulling a high-quality shot with beautiful crema. It is compact and looks lovely as a kitchen appliance, and can fit perfectly in a relatively small area.
Dimensions and Weight
- Height: 12.5 inches
- Width: 12 inches
- Depth: 10.25 inches
- Weight: 26 pounds
- Body: Stainless Steel
- Water Tank: Plastic
- Detachable: Yes
- Capacity: 2.2 liters
- Power Output: 1500 watts
- Cup Clearance: 4.5 inches
- Warranty 1 Year
What’s in the box
- 2 Dual-Wall Filter Baskets 50mm
- Cleaning Tool
- Frothing Container Stainless Steel
- Tamping Spoon
The Breville 800ESXL is a relatively slim design. The lightweight and small dimensions make it very portable. It has a water tank capacity of 2.2 liters, and the body itself is made up of pure stainless steel. The superior design also gives a 4.5-inch cup clearance, which is quite uncommon in brewers that come around this price tag. It also comes with a storage chamber behind the drip tray for you to store coffee related stuff. The device itself is semi-automatic, and it uses a power output of 1500 watts. This coffee-brewer is reasonably easy to use as it has three physical buttons and one dial in the middle. Above all, it comes with a 1-year warranty, which is essential when choosing to invest in such a machine.
The design is not the only highlight of this remarkable machine. It performs just as well too. This machine can make between 2 to 5 cups per brew.
It comes with thermoblock heating system which keeps the water in the tank at an ideal temperature. The water stays at around 250 degrees Fahrenheit when steaming, and about 205 degrees Fahrenheit when extracting the espresso. It means that you don’t have to worry about your coffee being cold at all.
The Auto-Purge feature allows the temperature to go back to the optimum level when the steaming process is over, and you have to begin the extraction. It is automatic, which means you don’t have to change the temperatures manually. It does all the wonders by itself.
15-bar Triple Priming Pump
The 15-bar triple priming pump, made in Italy, is the central part that allows the coffee to be perfect. It gives three quick warm water bursts in the filter head before the extraction to make the ground coffee moist, or the coffee pod if you are using one instead. This process allows the coffee to be sufficiently rich in taste and make full crema out of the beans. There are very few coffee making machines that use this technique, as most of them add steamed water. Hence, the espresso produced by this machine is comparatively much better than the others in this price category.
Water Tank and Filters
The water tank, which has a capacity of 2.2 liters, is sufficient enough to make at least 50 single espresso shots without having to refill it. It is easy to remove from the machine itself as well. Other than this, the filters are made up of stainless steel as well. All the filters come with a “dual-wall.” Combined with the triple priming pump, it helps to extract the most flavor out of the ground coffee along with maximum crema. There are three kinds of filters included in the package. There is a single filter (7 grams capacity), a double filter (14 grams capacity), and a pod filter as well. Hence, you have a choice among the three to make the best tasting coffee for yourself according to your taste.
As far as the steam wand is concerned, it too is made of stainless steel like the rest of the outer body. It allows you to froth the milk by adding steam to it at high pressure. It is attached to a ball, which makes it easier to move around. Hence, this machine is capable of producing exceptionally well milk-based coffees such as cappuccinos and lattes without much effort.
However, you need to connect its plug to a power outlet for the machine to work.
Also, you need to unplug it once done as the appliance does not completely turn off when you press the power off button. The power button is on the left side of the dial, which allows you to turn it on and off. On the right side, you will find two more buttons, one for hot water, and the other for steam. Just press the button according to what you want the machine to do, and it will handle the rest like a charm.
How To Brew The Perfect Coffee
Now that we are aware of the structure of this magnificent machine let us see how easy it is to use it and brew the perfect cup of coffee without much effort.
- So first you need to turn on the machine by plugging it into a socket and pressing the power button. Once you hear some sound coming from the appliance, it means that it is ready to be used. The noise might be loud to some but let me assure you that there is nothing to worry about it.
- Then pull out the water compartment and fill it up with water. You can either fill it up entirely or just as much as you need at the moment. While at it, you will see a red light blinking just beside the power button. It means that the machine is getting ready to heat the water.
- During this time, you can gather the rest of the things needed, which include milk, coffee beans, grinder, and a cup!
- Add coffee beans to the grinder, and grind it till it is grounded thoroughly.
- Then add the grounded coffee to a filter of your choice and then level it so that there is no excess coffee in it. You can use the tamping spoon that comes with it to do this. Just make sure that the coffee is packed down.
- In the meantime, your machine is most likely to be ready, and the red light has stopped blinking. Now, you need to attach the portafilter with the coffee-brewer. Make sure you don’t twist it in the wrong direction when trying to connect it. It can cause the filter to get stuck in the machine.
- Then place the cup under it so that the espresso pours into it.
- When all set, turn the dial towards the espresso mark, which is on the right side, and you will hear more pumping sounds. Then within a few seconds, the coffee will start to pour in the cup.
- Once you have an adequate amount of coffee, turn the dial back to the middle of the steam and the espresso mark, and your espresso will be ready.
Now, some people like drinking it as it is, whereas some prefer adding foamy milk to it. If you are the second kind, just like me, there are a couple of additional steps to make yourself the perfect coffee.
- What you need to do first is take off the portafilter from the machine, and grab the frothing container that comes with this brewer.
- Add milk in it according to how much you need. Just to let you know, the lesser the milk, the stronger the coffee!
- Then rotate the dial towards the left, where you see the steam sign. The red light will start to blink again, as the water needs to heat up again because steaming requires a high temperature.
- Place the milk container under the steam wand and wait for it to start steaming.
- Once it starts, froth the milk till it is ideal for you. Make sure you keep in mind that the depth of the wand in the milk and the time it is in for makes a difference in how bubbly it is.
- When done, turn the dial towards the middle to stop the process.
- Then carefully remove the mug from the machine, by handling the wand with the rubber handle that is on it. The steel would be scorching, so make sure you don’t injure yourself by touching it directly.
- Then add the foamy milk to your espresso shot and your delicious cup of coffee will be ready!
Also, just to let you know, the machine does not entirely power off even when you press the power button. You need to plug it out for it to shut down altogether. So make sure you do it to save your electricity!
PROS and CONS
This appliance also has its pros and cons. Like every other thing, it has its limitations attached to it, along with some advantages as well. To make it easier for you to understand this machine, here is a list of all the pros, followed by the cons.
- It makes premium quality espresso at home.
- It has enough space to put in a cup as tall as 4.5 inches, which many coffee making machines do not offer.
- The built is high-quality stainless steel the design is very stylish, making it look attractive and being highly durable at the same time. You don’t have to ever worry about pieces breaking, as many plastic parts in other machines do.
- The triple priming pump is a unique feature which allows it to extract rich crema and espresso.
- It features thermoblock heating and auto-purge feature, which allows the temperature of the coffee to be at the optimum level, making it taste even better and more admirable.
- It takes minimum effort to clean up the machine entirely. The stainless steel and the removable water container makes the job easy.
- It allows you to manage the extraction time so you can make the coffee lighter or darker, depending on your taste.
- It comes with a 1-year limited product warranty.
- The water reservoir storage is 2.2 liters, making it sufficient to be used numerous times without having to refill it.
- It performs just as well, if not better, as compared to much considerably expensive rivals. The machine itself is available under $500, which is very inexpensive for a coffee maker.
- The pressurized filter basket may limit the quality of the coffee, but can be upgraded if needed.
- It can not extract and steam together at the same time.
- The pump itself is a bit loud and noisy which can cause inconvenience to some.
- There is a whole lot of vibration when the machine is brewing the coffee. However, you can put some cloth under it to limit it to some extent.
- You have to turn off the machine manually when brewing. If you don’t, it can add too much espresso, or if you do it too quickly, the taste might not be as you expected. Hence, you need to be careful about the timings and the quantity yourself.
- You need to let the machine warm-up for around ten to 15 minutes before you can start brewing, as many users say that the coffee is not warm enough. Hence, making the startup a bit time-consuming.
- The machine does not come with a grinder. This means that you have to purchase one if you don’t already own it, adding more to the overall cost.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the size of the diameter of the portafilter for the tamper to be used?
The portafilter is 51.5mm in diameter, and hence the appropriate tamper for it must be 49-49.5 mm for the best results.
- Can I get the single filter rather than the dual filter for Breville 800esxl?
The single filters are no longer available for purchase. You can get more dual filters, similar to the ones that come in the package, though.
- How much time does it take to prepare one shot of espresso with this machine?
Timings vary according to how much espresso you want in your cup. However, on average, it takes about 30 seconds to prepare a shot.
- How to clean the Breville 800esxl?
The cleaning process is as easy as making the coffee. All you need to do is get a damp cloth and clean the outer surface of the machine. Take out the water container and wash it if needed. Then wipe it with a dry cloth and put it back. Also, keep in mind to clean away the foam from the steam pipe when you have prepared the froth. It can be pretty troublesome to remove it if it dries.
- Where can I buy the Breville 800esxl online?
The Breville 800esxl is available at an attractive price on Amazon, among other online shopping websites.
The Breville 800esxl is a remarkable machine for a perfect price. It makes delicious coffee and is very easy to use, especially for beginners. It has premium-built and is known for its durability. The company itself is very renowned for making exceptional kitchen appliances and has dominated the coffee brewing machines market as well. Therefore, it is safe to say that it is one of a kind and well worth its price, as the pros surely outweigh all its drawbacks.
Or try the Newest of Breville Best Seller
Breville the Barista Express Espresso Machine, BES870XL