Traveling as a coffee lover does not mean that you have to miss your regular caffeine dose as you can still make and enjoy some nice brews from anywhere, so all you need is to have the best coffee kit for travel.
When on the go, a coffee travel kit contains everything you need to make coffee. And the kit would also ensure that you do not have to spend a fortune on buying coffee shop coffee on the go, in addition to enabling you to make coffee from anywhere.
However, considering that coffee is one of the most commonly consumed drinks worldwide, it should be evident that coffee travel kits are highly sought after. What this means is that the market sells all sorts of kits.
The selection of choices is a positive thing, but it can also make it more difficult for you to decide, given that most look good enough.
But in this piece, by first highlighting the basics of a good travel coffee kit and then reviewing five top-rated choices to help you narrow down your options, we aim to make things simpler for you.
What a travel coffee kit contains
Depending on where you purchase them from, travel coffee kits will contain various parts, but whatever you pick should include all the essentials you need when on-the-go to make coffee quickly and conveniently.
It should include the following items to ensure that the kit you purchase can give you an easier time making coffee, whether you’re backpacking, hiking, or in a hotel room in a foreign country.
1. Coffee Maker for Travel
To be necessary for any package, a travel coffee maker can do the actual coffee brewing. You can get different types of coffee makers for travel, depending on the package you are purchasing.
AeroPress, pour-over, and the small and compact hand-operated espresso makers are the most prevalent French press choices.
The best coffee maker for you is dependent on the kind of coffee you prefer to drink and the amount you expect to brew. A package with a French press coffee maker would be great if you like good and creamy coffee, and are a frequent coffee drinker.
2. Beans of Coffee
Without coffee beans, you can’t make coffee, and so your travel kit should include them as well. Although several manufacturers are not going to sell them as part of the set, as you assemble your coffee travel kit, it is important to make sure you get them separately.
Although pre-ground coffee can still be purchased, which will also save you the need to bring a grinder around, any real lover of coffee can tell you that nothing beats coffee brewed from freshly ground beans.
But, make sure your coffee beans are properly packaged because they can be destroyed by air and moisture.
3. Coffee grinder
Coffee making often starts with grinding the beans, whether you are at home or on the go, so any decent kit should include a coffee grinder.
When it comes to the grinder, whatever you get needs to be conveniently compact and productive to provide the grinder’s fineness you need for your unique method of brewing.
The mode of powering the coffee grinder also matters a lot, since others can not be used in the forest where there is no power source, such as electric grinders.
In most cases, the best for your travel coffee kit would be a manual coffee grinder with several grinding settings that also comes in a small and lightweight size.
4. Travel Mug/Thermos
You won’t have time to make a coffee cup every time you feel like it while traveling, and the situation does not allow it either.
Therefore, when you shop for a travel coffee kit, you should also ensure that it comes with either a travel mug or a thermos to help you keep the beverage hot for later consumption.
Like the French press, some may have a double-walled beaker for insulation that doubles as a travel mug. But a separate travel mug or thermos may be included with certain kits.
A kettle must also be included in the best travel coffee package, so you need to heat water using a French press, AeroPress, or pour-over to make coffee.
While a larger kettle might be a good idea, it might not be very travel-friendly, given that it will heat a lot of water at a go. Consequently, the best alternative is something more compact and lightweight but with reasonable ability.
A stovetop kettle that you can heat over a campfire or stove is also a better choice than the electrical forms, which can only be used where electricity is available.
Ensure that the kettle is made of durable materials that can handle a beating and endure the traveling abuse.
6. Additional Optional Items
It might not be important to have these other items on a travel coffee package, but it can still be handy to have as they will boost your coffee-making experience on the go.
A coffee scale to help you weigh the coffee beans/grinds to use and a scoop to scoop the grinds are these optional items.
A cleaning brush can also be very handy because it makes it easier to clean up, and then it will be a carrying bag or case as it would make it easier to pack and transport the package.
3 Best Travel Coffee Kits – Review
Handpresso Outdoor Set
- The Outdoor set is made of thermo-formed EVA (Extreme Vibration Attenuation), designed to withstand 50psi.
- Simply add hot water and your favorite ground coffee or E.S.E pod to brew a great espresso.
- An adjustable strap helps keep your espresso experience as mobile and convenient as possible.
- Wipe with a damp cloth only to clean
- Dimensions: 10.5"L x 8.25"W x 3"H
Contents of the kit: Hand-operated espresso maker, shot glasses for espresso, thermos-insulated flask, and carrying case
This Handpresso package will take care of your needs on the go for the many coffee drinkers who can not go even a single day without one or a couple of shots of espresso.
With a hand-operated pump with a pressure scale, a nice travel espresso package helps you decide when you reach the perfect pressure for excellent extraction.
And a thermos-insulated flask will also be included to allow you to bring hot water for your brew, which removes the need to drag bulky kettles around.
Even since it will come with some good espresso shot glasses, you will never have to take bigger coffee mugs or cups with you either. And all for quick transportation is stored in a highly sturdy and comfortable carry case.
It takes quite a bit of muscle strength to get enough pressure, but this is still an easy-to-use espresso maker that almost everyone can use effectively, even children.
- Thermos flask removes the need for a kettle
- Pressure gauge enables more accurate extraction
- Quick brewing pump
- Solid travel case included
- Plastic pump handle feels a bit fragile
- Pumping pressure takes some muscle power
Cafflano All-in-One Portable Pour Over Coffee Maker for Camping
- Red silicone over stainless steel
- Convenient all-in-one integrated design
- Eco-friendly with no filters to replace or disposable cups
- Easily adjustable ceramic burr-grinder
- Lid for either the drip kettle or tumbler
For the on-the-go individual, pour-over coffee is the quickest and easiest to make, making it great. And you can make it from almost anywhere with this Cafflano all-in-one pack.
The fact that it contains anything you’ll need to brew on-the-go is what makes this one of the best pour-over travel coffee kits. The robust silicone and the stainless steel construction also make it an amazing package for coffee.
The all-in-one model includes a decent-capacity drip kettle, a manual grinder with various settings, a stainless steel filter that removes the need for paper filters to make the coffee maker more eco friendly, and an insulated tumbler to keep coffee warm.
You can prepare coffee in as little as 3 minutes using this setup. And provided that everything goes into one pack and conveniently disassembles, it is also super convenient for portability and cleanup.
If you are not keen enough, the tumbler lid is not super secure, resulting in a leak. However, it will hardly ever leak if you fasten it properly, so this should not be a big deal.
- More convenient all-in-one design
- Fast and easy pour-over brewing
- Thermal insulation maintains hot coffee for long
- Very portable and quite easy to clean up
- Durable stainless steel and silicone construction
- Tumbler lid is not as tight
- Drip kettle is not microwave-safe
Soulhand Portable All -in-One Coffee Maker Set
- 【ALL-IN-ONE COFFEE MAKER】Hand Mill Grinder , Insulated thermos, Drip coffee maker, Beans storage, Reusable Filter Dripper, Mug cup, etc, Adjust the grinding thickness according to the type of coffee you want to drink, allows you to enjoy fresh coffee anywhere you want, It’s a highly portable gift for someone who is looking for freshly ground coffee for traveling, hiking, camping expeditions
- 【QUALITY MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP】soulhand Travel Coffee Grinder’s parts are made of quality stainless steel and food-grade polypropylene material, ensuring long time use. Comes with the complete Grinder and Filter system, while the grinder core itself is made of hard and durable ceramic material
- 【PORTABLE AND EXQUISITE】No batteries, power and long cords to operate your portable compact coffee grinder, portable coffee makes measures: 8.6 x 4 x 3.9 inches, Perfect size to tuck into any purse, briefcase, or travel bag. Cup will also fit in most car cup holders
- 【TWO GRINDING METHODS】 Manual grinder ：Equipped with lengthen hand crank mechanism. Buckle into the top of the rotating wheel to grind, Easier to grind than a typical detachable handle. Hand-twist：The key is the hexagonal insert, which is rotated by rotating the hexagonal insert inside the screw cap to achieve the grinding effect. Two ways also achieve the grinding effect
- 【EASY TO CLEAN AND DO NOT LEAK】Our coffee grinders have all the benefits of a traditional hand grinder, All-in-one coffee cup saves your money on buying coffee machines &coffee accessories Coffee grind fineness can be adjusted by adjusting ceramic burr.The split design makes the regular cleaning simple and quick
For coffee lovers shopping on a budget, Soulhand makes this travel-friendly all-in-one pour-over coffee maker, and among our travel coffee kit reviews, it is the cheapest piece.
Everything you require to make coffee is included in the kit, including a drip kettle, a manual grinder, a stainless steel filter, and a thermal carafe. And for ease of travel, it also comes with a compact carrying case.
Coffee making is also a simpler process that should only take a few minutes, and since the pieces are washable and detachable, it is also super easy to clean up.
Given that it is made from high-quality and FDA-approved ABS and stainless steel materials, you can be assured that the coffee maker will last long and is safe to use. The company backs it with a lifetime guarantee to give you more guarantees that it will last.
This kit can only make small amounts of coffee at a go, given its size, but since it makes coffee very easy, you can easily brew for several people within a short time.
- Highly portable and lightweight
- Convenient all-in-one design
- Durable, FDA-approved materials
- Relatively cheaper
- Simple to use and clean up
- Still needs you to heat water separately
- Smaller brewing capacity
How to purchase the best travel coffee kits
As coffee lovers try to find ways to get their caffeine dosage on the go, coffee travel kits are always becoming more popular. And while there are plenty of kits out there, they’re not all going to serve that well. Therefore you need to watch out for the following items to ensure you choose the right one while shopping.
1. Kit composition
When selecting a coffee travel package, one of the first and perhaps most important items to remember is what you get in the kit you purchase.
Anything you need to make coffee on the go, from the coffee maker to the grinder and even the coffee grinds, should be supplied with a good package.
Look for a package that will have these basic components at least, but it will be even better for those that will have some extras like a carrying case.
2. Ease of Use
For making coffee on the go, a complex travel coffee kit would not be very suitable because, in most situations, you will not have a lot of time to spare for coffee making.
It is as easy to use as the French press and does not take much time to make coffee as it will give you a simpler time for a pour-over.
You should also know how simple it will be to bring around your choice of travel coffee kit because if it is not compact enough, the kit will be of no use to you.
Fortunately, most travel kits for coffee are made easy to pack and transport, making them quite portable to make sure you take them anywhere.
The chances of having something reliable and high-quality are improved by purchasing any coffee appliance from a reputable company.
Some brands are popular for making and selling nice travel coffee kits, as with any other coffee appliance. And Huckberry, Prima, and Cafflano belong to them.
You will always be better off purchasing from these top brands, even though you don’t know a lot about coffee travel kits.
You won’t want to spend a lot on owning one, no matter how handy and useful travel coffee kits may be. Hence, you would also need to remember the price while shopping.
For under $50, you can get a simple travel coffee package, but certain high-end ones are going to sell for at least $100 or more.
You need to determine what you want in your kit when it comes to price, come up with a budget, and then look for something that will give you what you need at the best price.
A travel coffee kit is one of the best things that can happen to a coffee enthusiast as it will allow you to get your caffeine-fix from anywhere.
These kits are available from almost all reputable coffee equipment manufacturers in many styles and models, so having the right travel coffee kit would require you to have the correct details.
But it should be super easy to find something for your trip once you understand what a travel coffee kit should contain and use our top 5 travel coffee kit reviews for recommendations.