Ever heard of Bisphenol A (BPA)? It is an industrial chemical that is used to make polycarbonate, and it can impact your health negatively when ingested. For that reason, you want to worry about BPA in coffee makers. Coffee machines with plastic parts, especially the water tank, filter basket, and carafe, can leach it into your coffee.
Why is BPA bad for you?
Here are a few things you need to know:
- Heart problems: High levels of exposure to BPA in adults is linked to heart issues.
- Reproductive issues: There are studies that have shown that BPA can cause infertility, especially in men.
- Type II diabetes: Some studies have shown that BPA impacts insulin resistance. That is why it is associated with Type II Diabetes.
- Cancer: A study conducted using animal subjects revealed that BPA exposure increases cancer risks.
- BPA has been linked to some adverse effects on fetuses and babies.
- Obesity is another potential risk from BPA exposure.
- BPA will also impact your thyroid and brain negatively.
- It resembles the effect of the hormone estrogen in your body.
Using BPA free coffee makers is a sure way to stop this chemical from seeping into your brew. Coffee makers that limit the use of plastic to the exterior or don’t use plastic at all are the best option. So when shopping, make sure to check whether it has plastics and where they are used.
If you decide to buy a plastic-free coffee maker, consider choosing any from the following types:
- French Press
- Stovetop espresso maker
How to choose a BPA free coffee maker
What is it made of?
The safest approach to choosing a BPA free coffee maker is to find one not made of plastics, or one with plastics to the exterior. For example, buy those made of stainless steel or glass. If you buy one that has plastic parts, make sure they don’t come into contact with the brew you are making.
Don’t be in a hurry to make a purchase without thoroughly inspecting your coffee machine. So, take a few minutes to assert you are buying the right gadget. Keep in mind that BPA is still used in the US freely.
Do you have extra time?
You need extra time to make coffee with some machines. Others can prepare your brew in no time. While still paying keen attention to BPA, it is equally crucial to consider whether you are ready to wait a bit longer for your brew to be ready.
Best BPA free coffee makers
The Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Maker
Love a strong cup of coffee and don’t like a lot of fuss? This stylish, stainless steel and durable percolator will not let you down. Though you will have to wait longer for your brew to be ready, you will get hot coffee that is full of flavor. It makes 2 -12 cups and has an easy to pour spout.
- Stainless steel body
- Alerts you when coffee is ready
- Makes great coffee
- Easy to clean
- Take longer to brew a cup of coffee
The Cuisinart DCC 3200 Stainless Steel Coffeemaker
Just like Presto, this coffee maker will also make you a great tasting, hot cup of coffee. It is BPA free and gives you the option for the flavor profiles (bold and regular). With this machine, you can set the brew time up to 24 hours in advance so that your coffee is ready and waiting for you. Its LCD screen allows you to operate it effortlessly.
- Automatic shut off
- 4-hours brew time set up
- Makes great coffee
- An excellent charcoal water filtration system
- Brew strength control
- Brew pause feature
- Some people complaint the cord is too short
- Others say it takes longer to brew
The OXO On 9 Cup Barista Brain Coffee Maker
This BPA free coffee machine has a barista mind in it. It will make you great coffee without your intervention. All you have to do is to decide on the amount of coffee you want, and it will do the rest. It will manage the temperatures, monitor time, and add the right amount of water once you start the brewing process. It is also certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA). Is that not a kind of coffee maker you would like to have?
- Your brew stays hot
- Stylish and easy to use
- It meets the Gold Cup Standard of the SCAA
- Makes great coffee
- The water cycle is timed for a better flavor profile
- It is pricey for this style of coffee machine
The Hamilton Beach 12-Cup 48464 Coffee Maker
With this BPA free coffee maker, you can make up to 12 cups and draw then one at a time. It works like the traditional coffee maker and can keep your great-tasting brew for up to four hours. Hamilton Beach allows you to customize your coffee options like iced, bold, or even small batch.
- Makes up to 12 HOT cups of coffee at once
- No pot or carafe to wash and maintain
- Easy to use
- Customization for brew strength
- It has consistently positive reviews
- Doesn’t last longer
- Different approach to brewing coffee with no pot
The MR COFFEE 12 Cup R-CG13
If looking for a basic coffee maker that will not break your budget, Mr. Coffee will not disappoint. It will make you good coffee at a reasonable price. In fact, it is one of the Mr. Coffee Models that is BPA free.
- Make good coffee
- It is cheap
- No customization
The Chemex – Pour Over BPA Free Coffee Maker
The Chemex is an iconic coffee maker with a timeless design. It is plastic-free, brews a clean cup, and maintains body and balanced floral notes. It has a large neck opening that allows you more control in areas of grind size and water flow.
- Makes great coffee
- Stylish design
- You can customize your approach to meet your tastes
- The carafe is fragile
- Pour-over coffee takes some time to learn how to do it right
- It takes time to brew coffee
Bodum Brazil French Press
Bodum Brazil is a glass and plastic coffee maker that is loved by many coffee lovers. In fact, it is one of the best-selling French press on Amazon, and not just because it so cheap. Generally, it is a stylish, easy to clean coffee machine that will make you great brew.
- It comes apart and can be put in the dishwasher
- The filter does a good job of keeping your coffee clean of sediments
- The glass beaker is strong and sturdy
- French press style coffee isn’t for everyone. It is manual.
The above BPA free coffee makers will do a decent job. Some may be easier to use than others, but it is up to you to decide which coffee machine best addresses all your brewing needs One thing we assure you is that they will not leach chemicals into your beverage.
What is the healthiest coffee machine?
Any BPA free coffee maker (made from glass, stainless steel) can be considered as a health coffee machine. There are various options to choose from, depending on the brewing option that works best for you.
What is the healthiest way to make coffee?
Using non-toxic coffee makers is one of the healthiest ways to brew coffee. You may also want to know your caffeine limits and as well limit the amount of sweeteners, sugars, and creams in your cup.
How do you know if there’s BPA in a coffee machine?
The best way is to check if the coffee maker is made from plastic or has some parts made out of plastic. You can also check if it is advertised as BPA free. Note that some coffee machines may have plastics to the exterior hence BPA free. So it good to research before buying.